35 - We Did It

"Holy crap, you know what this is?" JJ asked as we entered through the basement

"Holy crap, you know what this is?" JJ asked as we entered through the basement. "It just hit me. Pope, look. This is C.H.U.D. Full C.H.U.D."

"What is he talking about?" John B questioned, raising his eyebrows but I only shrugged, just as lost as he was.

JJ shook his head. "Cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers? Have you guys not seen that film?"

"Can't say I have, no." Pope stared at him, confused.

"It's actually a good film. It's about cannibals that live in the sewers and under New York City, and it's like-"

"Please shut up before I push you down the well." I groaned. Now was not the time to sketch us all out, at least any more than we already were.

John B silently thanked me before shining his flashlight down the well. "All right. How deep do you think this is, Pope?"

Pope let out a deep sigh. "I don't know."

I nervously watched as JJ and Pope began to harness up John B and slowly lower him down into the entrance of the well. I tried to remain as calm as possible but I couldn't help myself from worrying.

"Hey, guys. I have one request." John B called out as he dangled over the well.

"Yeah?" The three of us replied in sync.

"Don't drop me." He muttered before turning to face me. "And Kenn? Can you please at least try to look like I'm going to my death?"

"Whoa!" JJ pretended to lose his grip on the rope.

"Okay, you're gonna die first, for sure." John B groaned. "Here we go. Keep going. Keep going."

I could tell JJ was beginning to struggle with the rope but he waved me off when I tried to grab onto it. "Wait, hold on one second. I'm gonna get situated."

"You good?" Pope questioned, looking up at us but before either of us could react, JJ had slipped, causing him to let go of the rope. "Shit!"

I tried to grab a hold of the rope but due to John B's weight, my feet slid, inching me closer to the well by the second. "Hey JJ? A little help!"

Almost instantly, JJ had one hand wrapped around my waist while the other held onto the rope. "I got you. I got you." He whispered into my ear.

"I told you not to drop me!" John B shouted, clearly shaken.

"You okay?" I questioned, breathing heavily as my heart was beating out of my chest.

"What the hell was that?" He asked, shining his flashlight up at us,

"Little technical difficulties." Pope shrugged.

"Keep going, slow!"

"Okay, we're gonna start paying you out again, all right?" Pope said, beginning to lower his end of the rope as JJ and I did the same.