20 - Royal Merchant

Today was the day, today we could become four hundred million dollars richer and we weren't wasting any time

I leaned my head on JJ's shoulder as he steered the boat and didn't notice I had spaced out until I heard someone talking.

"Alright, JJ. Pin it here." John B called out from the front of the boat.

"Roger that! X marks the spot." JJ said moving the wheel back in place while stopping the boat.

"Alright ladies and gentlemen. To going full Kook." John B said, attaching a cord to the drone before lowering it down into the water in front of us.

I stood next to Pope as the drone searched for the Royal Merchant. "Are we close yet?" I asked Pope, trying to make out anything on the screen.

"Not yet." He mumbled as he maneuvered the drone to go deeper underwater.

"Alright JJ, we're right over it. Ten seconds northwest." John B shouted to JJ.

"Got it! Ten seconds northwest." JJ replied, turning the wheel to go in the other direction.

"One hundred feet!" Kie shouted at us.

Pope and I continued to watch the screen until a large fish swam past and both of us gasped in shock. I was never one to be good with jump scares as you may have noticed. "What? What? What? What?" John B rushed over to us but didn't see anything.

"It's nothing." Pope tried not to sound embarrassed as I tried to keep my heart from beating out of my chest. John B groaned and walked away. "Sorry I thought-"

"Don't do that to me, man." JJ shouted looking back at us.

"My bad, I just thought I saw-" Pope looked at me for help but I shrugged my shoulders.

"And to quote The Hobbit, down, down, to Goblin Town. Down, down, you go, my lad." Pope quoted. I leaned back to ask John B if he had any idea what Pope had just said but he had the same clueless look on his face as me.

"Four hundred feet!" Kie shouted, marking a fourth line with chalk on the side of the boat before we heard thunder off in the distance. "The tides turning."

"Hey JJ?" John B called out looking down at the monitor.

I caught a glance and noticed the boat starting to drift away from the coordinations. "Yeah?" JJ replied.

"Ten seconds easy, alright? South-southeast." John B ordered.

"Copy that." JJ turned back to the steering wheel and began turning it to the right.

"JJ, twenty seconds mid-speed alright? South." John B continued to order but I didn't hear the rest after I turned my attention over to Pope next to me who seemed as lost as I was over John B giving directions to JJ on where to steer.

"Do you think it's down there?" I asked him, not trying to sugar coat it. It's either down there or it isn't, we all knew it was that simple.

"I don't know, I hope so!" Pope started to shout as the wind picked up and it began to be harder to hear everything that was going on around us.

"Okay, seven hundred feet!" Kie shouted, making another tick mark on the side of the boat.

The wind began to pick up even more which started to worry me. "Guys, I don't think we have much time, this storm is coming, like now."

"I'm not leaving without knowing Kenn. JJ! Hold it steady!" John B shouted over the thunder in the distance.

"Okay! Nine-hundred!" Kie informed us.

"JJ, we're gonna turtle in this storm man." John B said but I could barely hear him over all the wind.

"Nine twenty." Kie shouted.

"Crank it north by northwest! Ten seconds!" John B ordered and JJ sharply turned the wheel which made me have to hold onto Pope for support. "Pope? How are we doing?"

"Almost there." Pope replied looking down at the screen as John B and I watched over his shoulder.

"There's too much current! We're gonna lose it!" Kie shouted, trying to get a hold of the wire and keep it in place."

"South, Southwest JJ! Hard!" John B shouted, ignoring Kie and kept going.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" I questioned him over Pope's shoulder.

"Yes I know what I'm doing! Half speed! Steady at this bearing JJ!" John B ordered and the three of us looked back down at the screen anxiously. "What do you got, Pope? Come on, man what do you see?"

"Nothing. A whole lot of nothing." Pope sighed and I looked up at the sky, praying that we would find at least something. "You should be right above it."

"Kiara!" Pope called out to her and she began lowering the wire down until we hit nine eighty and I thought I noticed something. "I'm at the bottom! I'm at the bottom!"

"Okay, steady here, JJ." John B said and JJ began to slow the boat down to stay where we were at. "Steady here. Quarter speed, alright?"

He turned his attention back to the screen and I noticed he was acting way more anxious as before. "You should be seeing something, man."

"I know, I know! Wait, wait." Pope stopped talking and I looked down at the screen to see a large boat at the bottom of the water. "Oh, good God."

"See something?" JJ questioned from the wheel but nobody answered him, we were all in shock.

"It's the Royal Merchant." John B muttered to himself.

~~~

This was a shorter chapter but episode three is all done and I can't wait to get into fourth episode!

I have some ideas I'm excited to work with the next episode or two and I hope you all will end up really liking them!