34 - Be Safe

"Alright, you got the rope?" John B questioned from the front seat as we drove back to the Crain house, this time prepared to find the gold

"Got it."

"Grappling hook?

"No grappling hook. We're not Batman." Pope rolled his eyes.

"Pulley?"

"Check." Kie sighed.

"Dark clothes?" He questioned as we pulled up to the Crain house, now looking a bit more creepy as it was now nighttime.

"Got it."

"Flashlights?" John B questioned as he turned off the van.

"Check." JJ replied, holding up his flashlight.

"All right, good. We're ready."

"Let's go get rich, guys." JJ laughed before climbing out of the van and holding a hand out to help me.

"Hell, yeah!" I cheered.

"Wait, wait." John B called out, stopping everyone in their tracks. "I wanna say thank you, guys. Seriously. It means a lot to me that you're here tonight."

"Always." Kie smiled at him.

"Of course, man." Pope grinned at John B as did their little handshake.

"My man."

"All right, we done with the circle jerk? Can we go do this?" JJ asked impatiently.

"Yeah. Let's get that wheat in the water."

"Weed? I'm up for weed." JJ grinned, his eyes lighting up at Pope's metaphor.

"Wheat. He said wheat." I clarified, shaking my head at him.

Despite being the first one to make it to the wall, I had to wait until JJ could give me a boost over the wall, but not before mocking my height.

Once everyone made it over, we began walking down the path we took previously to the house. It wasn't until the porch light turned on that my heart jumped out of my chest.

"Flashlights! Flashlights!" I snapped before JJ pulled me behind a bush.

John B shushed us. "Okay...Okay, so she has motion sensor lights."

"We could, uh... move really slowly, maybe?" JJ suggested, not fully grasping the point of motion sensors.

"What? That's not how it works." I shook my head.

"Oh, shit. Let's throw a rock at it." John B said a bit too excitedly.

"That's a really good idea. Let the axe murderer know that we're here." Pope mocked him.

"Throw a rock at it?" I sighed, glaring at John B.

"You have a better idea?" He threw his hands up in defense.

"Literally anything but that."

"What about the breaker? In the circuit box on the porch." Sarah suggested, crouching down next to me. "We used to play hide-and-seek here as kids. And if we were brave enough, we'd go all the way up to the porch. I've seen it."

"No, no. You're not going in the house alone." John B argued, shaking his head.

"Watch me." Sarah challenged him.

"Crain chops people into pieces." JJ muttered, causing me to punch him in the arm.

"If you believe that, but she's like what, eighty-five." Sarah replied.

"Yeah, something like that." JJ nodded.

"She's probably barely still kicking." Sarah said looking over at him.

"Here. Kie and I'll go with you." I suggested, starting to uncrouch but John B pulled me back down.

"What? No. You're staying with me."

"You know one day that isn't gonna work on me." I huffed, crossing my arms.

"We'll wait for your signal." Pope said before John B could interject.

"Okay, cool." Sarah nodded before her and Kie stood up.

"Hey! Be safe." John B called out to the girls.

"We will." She said before they snuck off.

I watched as JJ turned over to face Pope and held his cheek. "Be safe."

"I'll be so safe." Pope whispered, holding JJ's face. "I'll be safe for you."

I just rolled my eyes as John B sighed. "Can you guys stop? Stop! I'm gonna kill you."

"But how would that keep them safe?" I gasped, covering my mouth with my hand before winking at the two.

~~~

"They said when Hollis disappeared..." JJ tried to stir up a conversation as we waited for Kie and Sarah to cut the power.

"That you should shut the eff up!" Pope shushed him before we all turned back to the house and sat in silence.

Not even a minute went by before the porch light shut off signaling that they cut off the power. "They did it. Go time."

~~~

I know this chapter was kinda short but next chapter is going to be much longer and should be out in the next few days.

As always, thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter!