10- The Lucky Compass

For nine months, everyone's tried to get us to believe our dad's dead

For nine months, everyone's tried to get us to believe our dad's dead. They say we're in denial. Whatever. Denial's underrated. You should try it sometime when you get the chance. It's highly effective, and it's only denial if you're wrong.

It doesn't make any sense, my dad is the last guy who would ever get lost at sea. This compass coming back to us, our father's compass, which has been passed down for generations, it's a sign. Our dad is still alive, and we're going to find him.

"DCS! I know you're in there!" My head shot up from the couch and I jumped when I heard someone rattle the window behind me.

I looked up to see JJ standing outside the window and I sighed in relief before flopping my head back down on the couch. "I hate you."

"Gotcha, Kenz!" JJ began to say but couldn't finish due to him laughing so hard. "You should have seen your face. Your face was like..."

I threw a pillow at the window and rolled over. It was still early and I wanted to get as much sleep as I could before dealing with JJ the whole day.

~~~

"I'm just saying, I don't understand why you don't at least try with Kiara. She clearly likes you." JJ said from the passenger seat as we drove to Ms. Lana's house in my brother's van. "She's like, oh, John B."

"Is that what she does?" John B questioned, turning to look at JJ before focusing back on the road. I layed down in the backseat trying my best to ignore their conversation while I watched the trees go by as we drove.

"She's sketching about you diving, then she kissed you." JJ explained before turning around to look at me. "Ask Kenz, she was there too."

"Oh no, do not bring me into this." I argued, sitting up and giving JJ a pissed off look but he only laughed and turned back around.

"She kissed me on the cheek." John B pointed out as we turned onto a side street. "It's not like we were mackin' out."

"Low-hanging fruit, bro." JJ stated which made me kick the back of his seat. "You do know I'm still here, right?" I questioned, clearing my throat.

JJ turned around again and stared at me for a second with a sly look before looking back at John B. "Don't pretend you don't notice. I see it in your eyes. You're like, 'I kinda like that', and you start blushing."

"I blush?" John B asked, not believing he did. I sat up and peaked my head in between the front seats. "Ya kinda do."

"See." JJ winked at me before trying to grab the compass from the dashboard but John B quickly tried to snatch it out of his hand but failed. "I was just looking at it."

JJ held the compass in his hand and flipped it around. "I gotta admit, your father's compass in Scooter's boat, that's creepy."

John B shrugged and turned his attention back to the road. "Yeah. That's why we're going to talk to Ms. Lana, figure this whole thing out."