23 - Movie Night

"I'm so glad that they're still doing this

"I'm so glad that they're still doing this." Kie admitted cheerfully as we walked through the grass trying to find a spot to watch the movie from.

"Keep calm and carry on." I added as I sped up my pace in order to walk side by side next to Kie.

"Back to OBX life." Kie continued on a little too excited while we walked through the crowd of people and made our way towards the front of the field.

"Aren't you glad I made you come?" JJ questioned behind me as Kie slowed down and hovered over an empty patch of grass where no one was sitting.

I laid down a few of the blankets that I was carrying and looked back up at JJ. "I would've gone even if you didn't make me, this is my type of summer night."

"Ecstatic." Pope responded sarcastically.

"My couch was pretty comfy, I'll be honest." JJ sighed as he helped me set up my chair beside the blankets.

"We're out of the green zone, man." Pope muttered under his breath to JJ.

"Dude, tranquilo, okay?" JJ shot back while setting up his own chair.

"We're in the middle of Kooklandia." Pope explained worryingly, motioning to the people around us. "This is the last place I wanted to be."

"Shut up, Pope." JJ scoffed. I searched around for Kie, hoping she would come back soon but instead I noticed Topper waving me over. What does he want?

"Hey I'll be right back." I called out to JJ and Pope but they didn't seem to notice so I made my way over to Topper who was standing alone towards the back of the field.

"It's been awhile, where've you been?" Topper questioned as if nothing's happened.

"What do you want, Topper?" I snapped, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Wow, we're getting right to the chase then" He laughed but stopped when I didn't react.

"We're not friends anymore, remember?" I replied, showing no emotion.

"Come on Kenzie-" Topper said but I cut him off.

"First off, don't call me that. And second, don't come on me, I gave you one last chance and you blew it."

"Hold on, is this about Pope? You do know that asshole cost me twenty five k?" Topper shouted which caught the attention of a few people around us.

"Then maybe you shouldn't have jumped him, ever think about that?" I whispered harshly trying not to attract any more attention we already received.

"I didn't do it, that was all Rafe." Topper sighed, running his hand through his hair.

"But you could've stopped him, couldn't you." I fought back.

Topper looked down towards the ground, not responding. "That's what I thought, now I'm gonna have a nice night with my friends so don't bother us."