13 - They're Afraid Of Dogs, Everyone Knows That

"You mind if I just relax on this one?" JJ questioned, now sitting in the backseat with my legs draped over his lap

"You mind if I just relax on this one?" JJ questioned, now sitting in the backseat with my legs draped over his lap. "It's been a long day, and a lot of weird stuff has gone down. I'm just gonna lay low. Oh, did you want a hit of this?"

JJ held up his cigarette to Pope but he shook his head and swatted JJ's hand away from him. "I keep the signal clear."

"Dude, okay. Do you understand that your problem is that you don't get creative? If you got creative then-" JJ began but I cut him off.

"Can you two stop bickering?" I shushed them, resting my head on JJ's shoulder and tried to rest before we got to wherever John B was taking us.

"Look I know I was wrong about the lighthouse, all alright?" My brother explained while he drove the van. "And wrong about everything else going on. But I was right about one thing, okay? Our dad is trying to tell us something."

~~~

"Kenn, come on." My brother called as we walked through the cemetery. Why are we exploring the cemetery at night? That's a good question, I don't know.

"I'm coming. Not my fault I can't see anything." I snapped back, stepping over a fallen tree trunk while JJ held my hand so I wouldn't trip.

"What are we doing here, John B? This place is creepy as it is." Kie questioned as we walked out of the opening of trees but John B shushed her.

"Shut up, okay, you know how you're trying to remember a song and you can't remember who sings it?" What does that have to do with anything?

"Yeah." Kie replied hesitantly before John B continued on his nonsense. "So, Redfield. This whole time, I thought it was a place, right?"

"What are you getting at?" I questioned before John B stopped in front of a large tomb and turned to us. "It's not a place. It's a person."

I took a few steps forward and shined my light at the front of the tomb to reveal Redfield engraved on it. "Voi-effing-là." JJ said with an accent.

"See, our great-great-grandmother Olivia Redfield." John B motioned to the tomb and to the name Redfield. "That was her maiden name."

JJ and I glanced at each other as no one said anything for a while until John B spoke up. "Help me with the door. Come on."

Pope stepped up and grabbed a hold of the door next to John B. The two started pushing but obviously seemed to struggle. "Are you pushing?"

"Yeah. I'm pushing." John B groaned as JJ handed me his flashlight and joined the two in pushing the door. "Hold in. I got it."

"Come on, this door is like seven hundred pounds. It's not gonna budge." Pope grunted while the three continued to try to push the door.

"We didn't come this far to get this far, all right?" JJ said before a large snake hissed and slithered out of the crack of the door.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" I let out a scream and quickly backed up until I felt something hit the back of my leg but it was too late as I fell over and landed on my back. Can you tell that snakes aren't my favorite?

"That's a moccasin, all right. Ye olde Dr. Cottonmouth." JJ explained while helping me up, surprisingly keeping his cool, normally he would be rolling around laughing at the sight of me freaking out over a snake. Damn snakes.

"Death in tall grass." JJ continued before starting to bark at the snake as it disappeared into the grass and out of sight.

"JJ, shut up! What if someone hears you." I shouted under my breath, slightly shoving him to get his attention.

"You're gonna wake the freaking dead, man!" Pope added.

JJ sighed before throwing his hands in the air. "They're afraid of dogs, everyone knows that! Plus if anyone heard anything it would be Kenz freaking out over the snake!"

"You know I don't like snakes!" I argued as I took a few steps forward to take a peek into the crack of the door but JJ stopped me, pulling on my arm.

"If there's one, there's probably a dozens. All around." JJ warned and I shivered. When we were little JJ thought it was a good idea to take a snake and toss it at me. Unfortunately for me, the snake decided to bite me and I had to be taken to the hospital.

"JJ stop scaring her." Kie said, shoving JJ as he continued barking even though the snake was out of sight.

"Stop barking at the snakes." John B threatened and JJ stopped.

"I'm just making sure it's clear." JJ mumbled as Pope sushed us. "Look, John B, we're not gonna get in there, all right? It's not budging. We should probably just go."

While John B and Pope bickered back and forth I shone my flashlight through the crack of the door, it was small but not impossible. "I can get through."

"No, no, no, no. Even if you could fit through we don't know what's on the other side." John B argued and gave me the big brother face.

"I'm the smallest out of all of us, if anyone could fit it would be me. I mean, this is about our dad, don't we deserve to know the truth?" I explained as John B started at me for a minute before slightly nodding.

"Well, come on." I gestured to the door and they all ran over as I tried moving the vines out of the way. "Can you help me with that?"

"Okay, I'm going to boost you, all right." JJ said, leaning against the door and holding his hands out for me. "I've seen it in the movies several times."

"That doesn't help." I sighed but agreed anyway. "Ready?" JJ questioned, adjusting his hands so he could boost me.

"Remind me what we're looking for?" I looked over to my brother but he started at the door. "You'll know when you see it." That helps.

"All right, so you put your hands right here and your foot here, okay?" JJ explained as I stepped onto JJ's hands and held onto his shoulder for balance.

"All right, on three." JJ said, starting to lift me up and I grabbed onto the opening of the door and pulled myself up. "Okay, nevermind. Just forget about three."

I let go of the door and let myself drop to the other side of the door, I dropped to the floor with a heavy thud consumed by darkness. "Okay, flashlight?"

"Yeah, here." Kie handed the flashlight to me through the crack and I immediately turned it on, I was never afraid of the dark but I didn't need any more snakes creeping up on me.

"You alive?" John B asked worried, even though we were just on opposite sides of the door. "Like, a heartbeat and everything?"

"No I'm dead." I sarcastically replied, listening to the echo of my voice throughout the tomb as I servaid the walls with my flashlight. "Very funny." John B sighed.

"Um...I need some more light." I insisted, the flashlight that I had barely covered the tomb. "Yeah, yeah, here." John B handed his lantern in between the crack.

"Are you okay? Did you find something? Is it gold?" JJ frantically questioned and I stood there frozen before taking a step forward towards it. "Oh my god."

~~~

Episode two is done! This was a shorter episode but I hope you still enjoyed it!

Also thank you so much for 1K reads! I still can't grasp how many people have read it.

And I know 1K may not be a lot compared to other stories on this app, but to me, it's a major accomplishment.