33 - I Hope You're Right

"Code red!" Pope called out from the HMS Pogue to Kie and I as we walked down the docs after our shift at the Wreck

"What the hell is going on?" Kie questioned.

"Okay, JJ and John B conked out in the marsh." Pope explained as the two of us climbed down the ladder and into the boat. "They need a tow."

"Uh, okay, well, what does that have to do with me?"

Pope shrugged before turning the boat around and driving off. "We need you for mechanical."

"Mechanical." She scoffed.

Little did she know that she was heading straight towards a trap that John B set for her. And yes, I did feel bad about lying but John B was right, we're not going to get anything done if we can't work together.

"John B and JJ are up in the Alp." Pope pointed out to Kie as we let her off the boat and onto the other with John B and JJ...and secretly Sarah under the boat.

"She's going to murder us, right?" I asked Pope while we waited for John B and JJ to swim over to us.

"Most likely." He nodded.

"Sayonara!" JJ shouted before running out of the Alp with John B and jumping into the water.

"Guys!" Kie shouted, rushing out of the Alp and making eye contact with Pope and I. "Are you joking? Get your asses back here! Kenn!"

"Sorry Keeks, they made me do it!" I shouted back.

"We can't. Not till you two figure it out." John B replied, pulling himself up onto the boat.

"I will kill every single one of you!" She threatened us, Sarah now standing next to her on the deck.

"Y-You can't just leave!"

"There's food in the cabin, and JJ rolled a blunt." Pope cupped his hands as he spoke before walking back to the wheel.

"Hydroponic!" JJ added.

"Ahh, I can feel them bonding already." I sighed dramatically as we drove up the Marsh, heading back to the Château.

"So proud of them." JJ wrapped an arm around my shoulder and wiped away a fake tear.

~~~

There was always something about the night sky that soothed me, whether it was the reason I would stargaze whenever I couldn't fall asleep? I don't know.

"Couldn't sleep?" I turned my head to see John B standing in the doorway with his arms crossed.

"Guessing I'm not the only one?" I questioned.

"You would be correct." He replied, walking down the steps and taking a seat on the step next to me. "So this is what you do when you disappear at night."

"More or less. Helps me calm down." I explained, bringing my knees to my chest and looking up at the sky.

The two of us sat in comfortable silence, every so often breaking it to point out a star or make casual conversation.

"Do you really think he's out there?" John B whispered, looking away from the sky to look at me.

I glanced at him before turning back to the stars. "Sometimes I imagine him just walking through that door and everything going back to normal. Whatever normal is."

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I instinctively placed my hand on top of it.

"He's out there, Kenn. Dad's out there. I can feel it."

"I hope you're right." I whispered, leaning my head on his shoulder. At that moment I knew that we had to find the gold, we had to find it for dad.

~~~

The next morning rolled around faster than I expected and soon enough we were headed back to pick up Kie and Sarah.

"You forget your keys or something?" John B called out as we neared the two, still in the same place that we left them yesterday.

"You need a tow?" Pope questioned sarcastically.

"You gotta admit it was funny." John B said as JJ stopped the boat so that we were side to side with theirs.

"John B." Kie stated, sitting on the edge of the boat.

"Uh, what's that?" He replied, pulling his sunglasses up to look at her.

"Mastermind, huh?"

"I'm always planning." He grinned at her.

"Some patriarchal bullshit." Kie scoffed and Sarah nodded along with her.

"Yeah, that sucked."

"You still love us though, right?" I joked as JJ threw Kie a rope to tie off the boats together.

"Yeah, whatever." Sarah rolled her eyes.

"Hey, you still hate me?" John B looked up at Sarah.

"A little. We're both gonna get you back when you least expect it." She said winking at Kie.

"Watch your back, boys."

"Well, I, for one, welcome that challenge." Pope shrugged, leaning back onto the steering wheel.

"Me too." JJ agreed.

"So, did you guys, you know..." Pope trailed off.

"Reconcile our differences?" Kie finished his sentence off for him.

"Mm-mm." Sarah shook her head.

"Not even close."

"But we're...willing to work together." Sarah explained, looking back to Kie who nodded.

"You know what? That's victory." I shrugged and high fived JJ.

"Yep. Wiggedy wiggedy wiggedy!" JJ cheered, pulling me into a side hug. "Know why? Hydroponic."

"Don't say that." Pope cringed, cutting him off.

"All right, shut up. You guys ready to jack someone up?" John B questioned us.

"Yeah, whatever." Kie rolled her eyes as Pope helped the two of them onto the boat.

"Let's go find some gold!" I cheated, jumping onto JJ's back.

~~~

I'm sorry for the wait but I was finally able to get this chapter done and posted. As always, thank you for reading and hope you all enjoy!

On another note, I've started to work on the basis of a few different stories and I'm wondering if any of you would be interested in either a Mandalorian or a Prodigal Son book? Let me know if you hav any opinions!