16| Ignoring The Truth

Just want to thank DhritiShah234 for supporting me. Thank you! And... CUT!

***

James woke up in the hospital wing faced by a really angry McGonagall.

Before he could say anything, Professor McGonagall started scolding him. "What do you think were you doing, James Fleamont Potter!?!"

"I-"

For the first time in forever, James realized that Professor McGonagall actually cared for her students. Her fellow Griffindors.

"Stop staring at me an-" She stopped when James got up and hugged her.

She stared at him for a while. Her eyes softened and she embraced back.

She reminded James of his mother. In her hug, he felt protected.

"How did you find me?" James managed as he pulled away.

"Someone used the Patronus Charm. We figured it were Sirius Black but... Your magic was exhausted. Conjuring the Patronus took more strength than usual."

She cleared her throat, "You found out about the case of Sirius Black?"

“Found out if my best friend who I trusted the most is going to hand me out to Voldemort? Yes,” He said bitterly.

Professor McGonagall pulled him into another hug.

But then, the door opened. He started to push back but Professor McGonagall didn't leave him. Instead, she held him tight.

"It's alright, Potter," She said slowly in a voice James had never heard before. "The Professors were informed. Well, Professor Snape and Lupin already knew."

James pulled back and looked to see who had entered. It was Severus. The older one. He decided to take advantage of the situation.

"How are things going, Snivellus?" James remarked.

Professor McGonagall sighed. Snape turned red.

"Shut up, Potter. 5 points from Griffindor for showing such behaviour towards staff," Snape replied calmly.

Professor McGonagall sighed even louder (if that were even possible)

But James grinned, "In your dreams, Snappy."

Snape glared and then, turned to look at Professor McGonagall who's face was in her hands.

"Yes, Severus?" She asked.

“The headmaster has requested James to go back to his usual schedule as soon as possible to avoid suspicions from other students. Madam Pomfrey wants her here for another three days. No magic. He must not be left alone,” Snape turned to James. “Pottah, Professor Dumbledore wants you to stay close to Harry and protect him, seeing as he is your own son...”

Saying that, he left the wing, very quickly, not waiting for an answer.

Remembering something, James turned to Professor McGonagall who was somewhat peaceful now, “Hermione knows. She figured it out.”

“Mrs. Granger has always been a curious and hardworking student,” Professor McGonagall smiled. “You must forgive her, Mr. Potter."

There was an awkward silence. “You have your invisibility cloak, don’t you?” Professor McGonagall changed the topic.

James did not expect that. He gaped at the badass professor, “You know?”

“Oh, I always did. So, do you have it?”

“Yes Professor, It’s in my trunk. I haven’t really needed it here.”

“Well,” said Professor McGonagall. “Harry has a similar one. So, you might want to keep an eye out for that. I will see you later, James Potter. Take care.”

With that, she left the room and left James to wonder how grateful he was for Professor McGonagall, who was, at situations such as these, his second mom and always, the best mentor.

***

He got glances from almost everyone as he entered the room. Sirius stood up hopefully but James refused to meet his eyes. Instead, he grabbed the seat between Fred and Harry.

“Hey guys,” James greeted. “Fred, George, I surrender! You guys win the prank war.”

But the Weasley twins only smiled sadly.

Ron, who was sitting opposite to James, spoke up, “Is everything alright between you and him?” He gestured at Sirius.

James frowned, “Why would you ask that?”

“Everyone knows,” Hermione supplied and James winced.

“Truth be told, no,” He quickly ate his food. No one spoke. People kept glancing his way. Sirius lost all hope. James turned to Harry, “I am supposed to accompany you everywhere.”

Harry raised an eyebrow at him. James sighed, “I am telling this to you so that you don’t find me a freak. Now, you coming, Harry?”

***

James gladly accompanied Harry everywhere and avoided conversations with almost everyone. Sirius tried to talk to James several times. Harry, understanding the hate James felt towards Padfoot, always managed to save him from these situations.

He even asked Professor McGonagall to change his dorm and she did so very gladly.

James was glad to have a son like Harry. He was also proud. However, James also ignored Lily and Remus as they had hid this secret from him. He knew it was stupid. He felt stupid but James was also angry.

Right now, they were running late after Wood had stopped Harry to share some Quinditch tips. Personally, James loved his son getting ambushed by his captain into playing quinditch. In fact, sometimes, even James joined Wood to give Harry some tips. But right now, they were running late.

“Harry, we should really go,” James grinned. “Bye Oliver!”

They skidded to a halt outside the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, pulled the door open, and dashed inside.

Harry quickly started apologizing, “Sorry I’m late, Professor Lupin. I —”

But it wasn’t Professor Lupin who looked up at him from the teacher’s desk; it was Snape.

“This lesson began ten minutes ago, Potter, so I think we’ll ma-”

A glare from James stopped Snivellus in his tracks. “Sit down, you both,” Snape said.

But Harry didn’t move.

“Where’s Professor Lupin?” he said.

“He says he is feeling too ill to teach today,” said Snape with a twisted smile. “I believe I told you to sit down?”

But Harry stayed where he was.

“What’s wrong with him?”

Snape’s black eyes glittered.

“Nothing life-threatening,” he said, looking as though he wished it were. “Five more points from Gryffindor, and if I have to ask you to sit down again, it will be fifty.”

Harry walked slowly to his seat and sat down. Snape looked around at the class.

“As I was saying before Potter interrupted, Professor Lupin has not left any record of the topics you have covered so far —”

It was full moon, James realized. He looked around and found Sirius sitting alone. Remus Jr. also missing.

The class continued but James turned to Harry, “That was really brave of you to stand up to Snape. I am proud.”

Harry smiled, “Thank you, Jack.”

Snape taught everyone about warewolves and James knew why.

***

Which professor teaches flying lessons?