22| Christmas

Let's just forget what I told you all in the previous author note... (Even though I am not finished with the Mortal Instruments Series,) I am out of my writer's block. Kojo has (maybe) returned my ability to write and now, I will continue with the story!

The actual reason - My sister's book has more reads than mine and I need to defeat her. If you believe in sibling rivalry, leave a vote to this chapter... (reads are automatic XD. Share the story???)

Yes pjoclairesewinmari! Chapter 20th question was answered by AnnieDiAngelo1237. And guess what!?! Chapter 21's question was answer was given by Aaliya0012 and DhritiShah234!!

***

"Merry Chritmas, Sirius," Moody cheered.

"Merry Christmas," Sirius smiled back, sadly.

Remus understood the reason behind his sadness. Every year at Christmas eve, the Marauders would exchange sweets and drink hot chocolate together.

This Christmas, Pron- James was not among them. Hopefully, it would improve.

After James had stopped talking to them, the Marauders had broken down. Remus spent most of his time with his future self. Peter was no where to be seen... And James, he- Well, that we know...

At least Lily still talked to Sirius.

Just then, an owl flew in - Hedwig. She dropped a small piece of parchment and flew out the same window. Moony proceeded to pick it up. His eyes grew wide, "You have to read this..."

He handed over the parchment to Sirius.

| Merry Christmas |

It might have not seemed like much but the handwriting was oddly familiar. James!

"He greeted us," Sirius cheered. "Moony, he acknowledged us! This is the first time he has shown any interaction towards us for the past two months!"

Moony was smiling widely too. He fell back on his bed but then, got back up.

"HOT CHOCOLATE!" He concluded. "We need to get some hot chocolate! The elves..."

The boys looked around and soon spotted two cups of hot chocolate placed beautifully on the table. The picked it up and "Cheers!"

"Merry Christmas, Prongs," Sirius said dreamily as he sipped down his hot chocolate.

Little did he know, James and Lupin were sitting on a bed in a room adjacent to them and were staring out the window looking at the same view of the lake and sipping hot chocolate, muttering, "Merry Christmas, Marauders."

***

"I agree with Hermione," James finally decided. "It could be jinxed or hexed."

If you are reading this, you probably know what was happening. But still, here - Harry. Christmas. Ron. Firebolt. Peter Parker. Sirius Black.

James had entered the room to find it in chaos. A Firebolt was next to Harry and Hermione was worried. All of Harry's things were lying above Ron. (Probably threw it upon himself)

On understanding what was happening, James had immediately opted for Hermione.

"I thought you were on my side!" Harry protested.

"Yes, I am but-"

"So, Harry gets to keep his Firebolt!" Ron popped in.

James and Hermione looked at each other and had a silent agreement - not now.

"Harry, did you like my present?" James changed the topic.

Harry smiled, "Yes! The cloak is beautiful!" (Not the invisibility one)

James smiled back.

"Jack, I was wondering if you would like to join us in the common room tonight... The place will be empty and we could have fun," Harry offered.

James thought for a while and agreed.

At lunchtime, they went down to the Great Hall, to find that the House tables had been moved against the walls again, and that a single table, set for seventeen, stood in the middle of the room.

Saying it was awkward would have been an understatement. Despite Dumbledore's attempts to start conversations, the tense atmosphere was understandable to all.

Peter was gone (Professor McGonagall had informed them about Peter's wishes to remain confined to a room). Severus sat with his respective future self. Mini Remus and Big Remus were gone. It was a full moon...

Other than Harry, Ron and first year boy, Derek, everyone knew the time travellers' real identities.

At some point Professor Trelawney arrived. Professor McGonagall and Professor Trelawney clearly had a grudge... Truth be told, James found it amusing!

***

As soon as Harry and Ron left, followed by the first year, Derek, James and Hermione had a silent agreement.

"Professor McGonagall, I need to speak to you," Hermione pleaded.

"Certainly, after dinner," She answered back.

James looked up and found Sirius staring at him. They locked eyes. Sirius forced a smile as if asking a question. James glared back. "I'm done eating, excuse me..."

James stood up and walked away to the common room. Harry and Ron were playing with the Firebolt.

"Harry, you still up with the 'fun' tonight?"

Harry shook his head, "No, we will do it some other day instead. I remembered something."

James frowned but shook it off. Soon after, Professor McGonagall came in to confiscate the Firebolt.

After the conversation with Harry, Professor McGonagall turned on her heel and carried the Firebolt out of the portrait hole, which closed behind her. Harry stood staring after her, the tin of High-Finish Polish still clutched in his hands. Ron, however, rounded on Hermione.

“What did you go running to McGonagall for?”

Hermione threw her book aside. She was still pink in the face, but stood up and faced Ron defiantly.

“Because I thought — and Professor McGonagall agrees with me — that that broom was probably sent to Harry by Sirius Bla-!”

"It was my idea," James said quickly, who had scrambled to his feet. "I asked Hermione to talk to Professor McGonagall! Fine?"

Ron turned to look at James, shocked.

Harry, however, turned to look at James with a look of betrayal that made James take a step back. "Why did you do that?"

With a start, he realized how much Harry was like him. He used words and silence as his weapon and that hurt more than actions.

His head traveled back to that day when James had found out about Sirius. Closing his eyes, he blinked back tears.

James cleared his throat and stood still, "Your father would have wanted this, Harry."

He turned back and walked away but not before hearing what Harry had shouted, "You didn't know my father! You care about me as if you are HIM! Let me tell you that you are doing a really, bad job. You don't know what he would've wanted!!!"

***

What does Mrs. Weasley give Harry for Christmas every year?