28| Talking for real

The previous chapter question was first answered by keerahrichards and Aaliya0012!! Congrats!

***

"Sir Cadogan, did you just let a man enter Gryffindor Tower?"

"Certainly, good lady!" cried Sir Cadogan.

There was a stunned silence, both inside and outside the common room.

"You — you did?" said Professor McGonagall. "But — but the password!"

"He had 'em!" said Sir Cadogan proudly. "Had the whole week's, my lady! Read 'em off a little piece of paper!"

Professor McGonagall pulled herself back through the portrait hole to face the stunned crowd. She was white as chalk.

"Which person," she said, her voice shaking, "which abysmally foolish person wrote down this week's passwords and left them lying around?"

There was utter silence, broken by the smallest of terrified squeaks. Neville Longbottom, trembling from head to fluffy-slippered toes, raised his hand slowly into the air.

Professor McGonagall's eyes hovered over the students as if searching for someone.

"Where is Potter?"

Harry frowned. He was sure that Professor McGonagall had seen him. Surprisingly, Hermione spoke up.

"Harry-" she dragged the word "-is right here, professor."

"I- I'm right here," Harry stammered.

Professor McGonagall remained stern, "Where are Jack and his group?"

Harry's eyes widened as he looked around for them. His eyes met Ivy's, that were also scanning the faces of the children. They gaped at each other. For the first time, Harry observed how Ivy's eyes were so familiar to his own.

They had disappeared the last time too and that hadn't ended up well.

Behind him, Professor McGonagall swore.

"You babbling, bumbling band of baboons!"

***

James walked around the room, waiting for the others to show up.

Did I screw up? I hope Sirius shows up... we need to fix things!

No sooner, the door was banged open as Sirius and Remus stepped in.

"James, you-"

James interrupted Sirius as he brought them both in a tight hug. Sirius and Remus, overcoming their shock, returned the hug.

Finding his cheeks wet, James wiped the tears, stepped back, and cleared his throat.

"We need to talk," He said, his voice hoarse.

Sirius nodded, "That we need to!"

James looked at Remus and then, at Sirius, "I want you both to explain yourselves to me. About what happened, how you found out about- about that and everything!"

Remus nodded at Sirius, gesturing him to start. Sirius took in a deep breath.

"After our class with Severus - Yes, the first one - You excused yourself from Lunch. I went alone and sat down with Seamus."

"Where were you?" James asked, turning to Remus.

"I was with Lily and Hermione."

"Anyways," Sirius interrupted. "They were talking about some information and that's when I realized that my future self was a... a murderer. He killed them. I did some research. More about him and- it- It scared the heck out of me, James!"