24| Oh, man...

Let's make a few things clear first... I have no idea when Arthur attended Hogwarts and if he was there when the Marauders attended the classes. In this story, Arthur was head boy when the Marauders were first years. Thank you, enjoy!

***

“Ready?” said Lupin, gripping the box lid.

“Ready,” said Harry.

“Go!” said Lupin, pulling off the lid. The room went icily cold and dark once more. All James could remember was the day in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom.

He still hadn't rold anyone about how he had seen the traitorous Sirius Black twice inside the school. He hadn't said a word to anyone about how he was Sirius was an Animagus.

The dementor glided forward, drawing its breath; one rotting hand was extending toward Harry-

Expecto patronum!” Harry yelled. “Expecto patronum! Expecto pat —”

[“Lily, take Harry and go! It’s him! Go! Run! I’ll hold him off —”

The sounds of someone stumbling from a room — a door bursting open — a cackle of high-pitched laughter —]

Nothing came out of Harry's wand. Instead, he fell backwards. James, shocked, let Moony take care of the boggart and went over to check Harry.

"Harry, wake up!" He shook the fainted boy. "Harry!"

Harry opened his eyes, taking short breaths. He looked around panicked. It took over a minute to calm him down.

Lupin calm over and helped calm down the boy. Nonetheless, he was just as panicked.

“I heard my dad,” Harry mumbled. “That’s the first time I’ve ever heard him — he tried to take on Voldemort himself, to give my mum time to run for it. . . .”

Harry was crying. James was stupified and had no idea what to do with this information. Lupin also had tears forming in his eyes that he quickly wiped off.

Harry bent down to wipe off his tears.

"You heard James?" Remus asked in a strangled voice.

James took a step back and stared at Harry, who was crying and then at Remus, who was also crying, silently.

"It's my fault... It's my fault," James muttered. He felt his heartbeat rise. James felt dizzy and tingly. They were all crying because he, no- he was going to fail. He would not be able to stop Voldemort.

Because of James' carelessness, Harry would have to grow with the Dursleys. He would have a tough life with people trying to kill him every second, every minute. Sirius would betray him only because James had trusted the boy in the first place.

James bit his lips. A metallic taste filled his mouth. Blood. "I can't do this anymore... I can't, it's-" Harry and Lupin looked at James, worried and confused.

James turned and walked out. He ignored Moony trying to call him back and wended his way through the other students.

“Professor McGonagall!” He called out as he entered her office.

The professor, who was sitting down on a chair stood up on hearing James, “James, to what do I owe this pleasure?”

“Professor, you said that Peter wanted to confine himself inside a room?” asked James.

“Yes, he was quite overwhelmed by this new atmosphere. Are you implying that you-”

“Yes. Professor, this is just too much,” James chose that moment to break down. He spilled out. He told her everything. How he felt everyday. All that loneliness. He spilled it out. (He didn’t tell her about meeting Sirius though. That was his little secret.)

Professor McGonagall was a keen listener. She remained quiet most of the time asking questions and muttering ‘it’s okay’ whenever necessary.

Finally, she agreed, “Get your things ready. A carriage will arrive soon.”

***

James found himself standing in front of the Burrow. He didn’t really have any luggage except for his invisibility cloak, the book Hermione had given him, a watch from Harry and a few set of clothes.

James looked up at Professor McGonagall, who was smiling warmly at James.

“Is Peter here too?” asked James.

“No, Peter is living somewhere else. Its classified. Do you remember Arthur?”

James scoffed, “The Weasley Head boy who used to scold us and frown at us during our first year at Hogwarts? Yes.”

Professor McGonagall nodded, “Well, I have explained everything to Arthur and Molly. They are delighted to have you back.”

“Thank you so much, Professor.” She nodded encouragingly.

With that, James walked towards the burrow, unsure of what was waiting for him.

***

That's it! *dodges charms and curses* Okay, people! I understand! Sorry for not updating. I was outside- *dodges a tickling charm* -and I had fun too! Well, let's just hope you understand..

*dodges a love potion* WAIT, WAS THAT A LOVE POTION!? Nvm, I'm not even gonna ask...

Just... excuse me. There was an event I had to attend.

[I thought I had published this chapter the day before yesterday... *facepalms*]

Who is the worst person in the Harry Potter series?