aon

"Don't rely on someone loving you to make you feel whole."

"'Our names are Sarah and Kyle Thomas. We were both born and raised in the Boston area, and for many years we've discussed the idea of surrogacy and what it would mean for our family.'" Harry Styles reads aloud the latest autobiography he was sent by the agency. The couple sounds sweet and excited for the opportunity becoming a surrogate could bring them. To Harry, nothing special stands out, except that the Thomas' live near him and Louis. Harry makes a mental note to show this couple to Louis later. Perhaps over lunch.

He's discussed the possibility of having children with Louis before. The first option had been adoption. They had talked with the agency for a month or two, when things began looking dim. The agency seemed very intrigued in Harry and Louis' marital status, and when Louis was quick to tell them about the civil union and no plans for a proper marriage, the agency lost interest. The problem, however, laid not in the agency, but in what Louis had said.

Louis knew Harry wanted children. After four years together, how could he not know? All of the baby magazines, the websites, the side comments- Harry was nothing if not painfully obvious.

He clicks on the pictures Sarah and Kyle added to their bio. They look happy, with two children of their own and a ditzy dog. He's about to click on the next image when there's a knock at his door. Harry sets his laptop on the coffee table, and gets up to answer it. He's no longer in the pajamas he was in an hour ago, now dressed in proper clothing for work. Opening the door, Harry smiles widely at his best friend.

"Guess what! Guess what! Guess what!" Zayn bounds into Harry and Louis' house, grinning from ear to ear.

"Did Freesia's soccer team win their game?" He asks.

"They're bumblebee soccer, everybody wins. But no, that isn't it. Guess who Juelle saw coming out of the jewelers across from her gallery." Zayn helps himself to orange juice in the fridge, and Harry sits down at the breakfast bar.

"Who?"

"Louis."

Harry's eyes about pop out of his head, and his heart begins to beat faster than ever before. "What?"

"Do you know what this means?"

"I..."

Zayn takes a drink of his juice, and grabs Harry's hands from across the counter. "There's only one reason people go into a jeweler and come out with a small bag."

Harry tries his hardest not to squeal like a small child when he opens his mouth. "I'm getting in engaged. I am getting engaged."

"You're going to have a better engagement ring than the one I gave Juelle, you spoiled thing." Zayn fakes annoyance, but Harry sees right through the facade.

"Do you know what this means, Zayn?"

"My best friend better ask me to be his best man. That's what this means."

"We can have kids. If we get married. We can, we can adopt or surrogacy- I just read a new bio we were sent." Harry points behind him toward his laptop. "Want to read it?"

"Sure, man." Zayn nods. Harry has a bounce in his step as he grabs his laptop and unplugs the charge to bring it over to the breakfast bar.

"They're from Boston." He explains.

"Oh, bro. That's half an hour away. That's perfect!" Zayn is one hundred percent supportive of Harry's endeavors to have his own children. When Harry talked to him about it three years ago, Zayn had been the one to suggest the surrogacy route. The biological connection to the child is something science and doctors have the ability to do now, he had said. If you want a baby, why not have it be yours emotionally and biologically?