fiche

"Love her but leave her wild."
Atticus Finch

Harry decides that he really likes eating in the company of others. Strangers, mostly. He believes that you can learn a lot about someone by the way they handle food and dining. The couple that owns the bed and breakfast are loving, the kind of love that only comes after years of laughing together. The other family staying is crazy. The dad is a whirlwind, nonstop talking and fidgeting. The mother is quiet, but attentive. She looks kind, and her son takes after her in both looks and attitude.

After hearing the story of how the Brady's met, the father opens up about him and his wife.

"Delia and I actually met at university." He says over his glass.

"What did you study?" Mr. Brady asks, intrigued.

"Reid studied marketing at first." Delia says after swallowing her last bite of pancakes. "Then he switched to theater. I studied poetry."

"Poetry?" Niall looks intrigued. "You're a poet?"

Delia laughs, letting her son up onto her lap. "Substitute teacher, actually. Poetry on the side."

"And are you a teacher too?" Harry asks Reid, who nods.

"I used to teach." Mrs. Brady says, smiling. "Maths."

"What do you two do?" Reid redirects his attention to Niall and Harry.

"I own a pub in Neamh, and Harry is an event planner." Niall answers for both of them, and Harry nods, taking a drink of water.

"How long have you two been together?" Delia asks, and Harry almost choked.

"We're-We're not-"

"We aren't-"

"Together." Harry finishes, trying to breathe evenly. Delia blushes profusely at her mistake.

"I am so sorry."

"It's okay." Niall laughs. Harry watches Reid and Delia's little boy shuffle off of his mom's lap and run out of the dining room. Mrs. Brady laughs along with Niall.

"To be honest, I thought they were together too." She tells Delia, and Mr. Brady nods.

"She came to bed last night and told me we had two handsome men staying in the extra bedroom." He grins, winking at Harry. "I told her that I didn't know I had clones runnin' around."

"When are you guys leaving?" Harry asks Delia.

"We're staying for a few days. You?"

"Just last night." He says, smiling and hoping that he's right. He hopes he's in Dublin before tonight.

"Have you been in Marien long?" Mr. Brady asks.

"No not long." Niall answers.

"Have you explored the town at all?"

"Nope." Niall answers again.

"Oh, you have to." Reid interjects. "We took Frankie to the falls yesterday, and they let you swim there and everything. Great place for photo ops, and also just fun. Adventurers haven."

"Are you talking about Marien Falls?"

"Marien Falls are the town's biggest tourist destination. They're busy nonstop." Mrs. Brady explains. "What you want to do is go to the locals favorite spot. Waterfalls, still, but lesser known and twice as beautiful."

Niall looks overly interested, and Harry gets a feeling in his stomach that's a mixture of electricity and panic. "Hey, Harry."

"Yeah?" He meets Niall's glance.

"I think we have a stop to make before we head to Dublin." Niall smiles widely, innocently even though they both know his idea is anything but innocent. Late, Harry thinks. I'm going to be late.