In a stranger's room

Elize was quite annoyed at her brother. He insisted on driving home first. He wasn't ready to leave his stupid car out in the forest. She had to put up with her grandmother's glare throughout dinner just because of her brother's stubbornness. Elize knew that if that old woman possessed magic, she would have already willed her granddaughter to disintegrate right then and there. Already without it, she never missed a chance to spray her granddaughter with holy water every now and then. The self-proclaimed exorcist activities did not take place that night since thankfully Elize had no slips of magic during the time.

Elize tiptoed across the huge hall towards her brother's room at midnight with her bag. She was all ready to travel in her black t-shirt, jeans, and converse. She sported a red bandana on her head, not wanting to mess her hair up during the journey.

Alex and his sister mutually agreed that they wouldn't let the other people in the house know of their plans. If someone woke up and heard of their plan, they wouldn't have a chance to leave. Magic was a taboo in the house- thanks to her very Catholic grandmother.
Elize peeped inside her brother's room to see if he was done packing. No luck. The man was still busy shoving clothes and what not into his leather duffel bag. He was walking throughout the expanse of his entire room while doing it. She rolled her eyes when Alex shoved his phone into the side pocket of his bag.

"You know that electronic gadgets don't work where you're going." She remarked impatiently from the door.

They had to leave soon if they were to reach the Island before sundown. It was the witching hour already. She knew that transporting two people to such a long distance would take enormous energy, only possible to a novice witch like her only during this hour. In fifteen minutes, that window would close.

"I'd rather take the chance." Alex shrugged.

"Oh God, how much longer will you take? We need to leave- like now!"

Alex laughed at his sister's remarks. The sound echoed from the huge room to the corridor of the dark house. She hoped that sound didn't wake the practicing Catholic in the house.

"Shhhh! Don't laugh so loud!" Elize hissed at her brother.

Alex came forward and handed his sister a bowl of water. She took out the invitation from the back pocket of her washed-out jeans and immersed it in the liquid. Both strained their eyes into the bowl, hoping for some sort of spark to erupt from it.

Nothing.

"You sure this is going to work?" Alex asked, looking up at his sister, who had her eyes still in the bowl.

He was not sure how this stuff worked, but he knew that something was supposed to happen.

"There!" Elize exclaimed.

The letter was slowly dissolving itself in the water as if it was made of sugar instead of paper. In a few minutes, it disappeared entirely without leaving any trace of it behind in the crystal clear water in the bowl.

"That's it?" Alex asked curiously.

His sister nodded her head and motioned him to come close. Alex moved closer to her, clutching his bag to his chest. It was a weird posture for a big guy.

Elize bent down a tad bit to carefully pour the contents of the bowl into a circle around them. She straightened up and threw the glassware to Alex's king-sized bed. Perfect landing!

"Nothing is happening Eli," Alex said, letting out a sigh after two long minutes."Maybe you did it wro-"

The circle she drew started giving off a small glow. "It's starting. Brace yourself.!" Elize exclaimed.