The fight in the clearing

Zack's POV

Zack was shocked, seeing the entire area being consumed by a fire that gave off a blue light. He didn't know that his mate was this powerful. No wonder she made enemies as soon as she surfaced on the Island, Zack thought. The creatures that were all too visible to him at the moment were shrieking in pain as they were caught in its fiery embrace. Although the light was too much for his eyes to bear, Zack didn't once look away. His eyes were focused on the only thing that mattered to him- his mate.

Through the haze, he could see that Elize was losing her balance. Her body swayed once, and she immediately leaned on to the nearest boulder for support. He knew that she was tired. He wanted to reach out and hold her, but he couldn't.

'You better come fast or else I will personally see to your death Mikail!' Zack thundered through his mind link, tears sliding down his face.

'Alpha we're almost there! Wolves are appearing out of nowhere and are obstructing our path!' Mikail��s once deep voice reflected a sense of fear as he replied.

Zack could sense the fear in his subordinate. But at the moment he didn't care. All he knew was that his mate needed him and he was helpless inside the shield. Although he couldn't see the boundaries of the barrier, his heightened senses could feel the static coming off of it. Since him trying to break out was only hurting Elize, he could guess that the shield was somehow a projection of herself. Hence, he didn't dare try anymore. That only left him with the other option- summon his subordinates who were supposed to stand close by.

Before him, he could see Elize struggling to turn towards him, putting all her weight on the rock. Zack's heart ached, seeing her like this. As he moved forward, he felt it- the static coming off of the shield was getting weaker. Alarmed, he looked at Elize who was now smiling weakly at him from the distance.

Suddenly he heard an explosion from the edge of the forest along with a loud noise of people shouting together. He looked towards the direction only to see the whole surrounding shattering like a huge mirror. He looked back at Elize, a sense of panic reflecting off of his features.

"Don't be sad baby. It's over." She said weakly, looking at him with a smile on her tired face. Her voice had a tinge of sadness as it reached him. It violently shook his insides as he tried his best to be patient. He knew that one wrong move towards the shield, and she would get hurt.

Soon Elize started coughing terribly. Zack watched helplessly as she turned away from him slightly and continued coughing while closing her mouth with the back of her hands. His palms itched to break out of the shield, but he held back. He peered to get a better view of her. He could see blood on her hands as she withdrew it from her mouth even from the distance. Before he could react, her body shook terribly and she started falling down.

Just as she was falling, he could feel the shield around him dissipate. Without wasting another second, he lunged forward screaming her name. Before her body hit the ground, he reached the place and tugged at her lifeless hand, swinging her body towards him. A small smile was still on her face as if she was dreaming.

"Elize please wake up! Please baby! I can't live without you!" Zack begged, tears streaming down his face.

Elize's face remained serene, as if she was in a beautiful dream. It didn't show any signs of waking up.

Zack sat down on the ground, holding on to her lifeless body. He swayed with her in his arms, whispering senselessly into her ears. Somebody was shouting at him in the background but he couldn't care less. He wanted his mate to wake up. Maybe she would wake up hearing his voice, Zack thought desperately, continuing his whispers.