The Truce

Zack paced back and forth the expanse of his bedroom, which was now filled with people from his pack. He didn't see this coming. His mate was not only in the most heavily guarded werewolf territory but also particularly on his bed- unconscious. How did his entire world turn upside down in one single day?

He wanted to go sit near the bed and hold her close to his body. He wanted to cry and ask her to wake up. He wanted her to know how much he missed the sight of her. But Zack held back. She was still Alex's sister. He couldn't let Alex know about Elize being his mate, although his best friend's shift changed a lot of things.

"Zack?" Alex dragged him out of his thoughts.

He stopped pacing at once and looked at his best friend.

"Yes, Alex?" He asked.

Alex looked as if he was in pain. Poor guy. He had a lot on his plate at the moment.

"Thanks for stopping me again. I wouldn't have forgiven myself if I hurt Eli in any way." He said sadly.

Alex looked as if he was going to cry. Zack walked to his best friend and patted his back, showing him that he understood.

"I know Alex. I know how much she means to you." Zack replied.

Suddenly, the door swung open, and an old woman stormed into the room, followed by a nervous Nina. She seemed to be nearing seventy, yet her sparkling green eyes said otherwise. Her plain long white gown dragged behind her and the green silk turban she sported seemed more like a crown than a piece of cloth. The woman had thrice as much energy as Zack had at the moment as she walked towards him with a determined look on her face.

As soon as he spotted the woman, Alex ran to her, engaging her in a deep hug. Zack could see the woman's hardened face turning soft at the contact. She took Alex by both his hands and held him apart to have a good look at him.

"My sweet boy. How you've grown! You're almost as handsome as Khaled when he was your age." The woman said.

Alex chuckled at that. "You just get more beautiful every time I see you, aunt Aileen."

The woman scrunched her face in protest.

"Haha, okay, grandma Aileen," Alex said, laughing.

She patted Alex on his back and looked around the room. Suddenly her eyes were on Zack, and once again her face hardened. Nina cleared her voice from the woman's back.

She announced, "Alpha, please meet the head witch Aileen."

Zack wanted to go hide underneath a bed. This woman was giving him the chills.

"You, young man! Zachariah right?"

"That's Alpha Zachariah mam," Zack replied, trying to sound
unfazed.

The woman laughed sarcastically.

"Ahhh! Alpha, is it? I wasn't informed about a new Alpha. Are you the son of Jebediah Ze'ev?"

"Yes, mam. Father retired and I took his place on last year's dies Februatus." He replied.

"Lupercalia. I see." The old woman smirked.

Alex looked back and forth the two, clearly confused at the underlying hostility.

"You two don't know each other? I thought this was a small place." Alex said, cutting in.

The woman called Aileen laughed. And as she stopped, she pointed an accusing finger at Zack.

"His kind killed my kind. Now the Island is divided into two parts- the East for the witches and the West for the dogs. We poisoned our part so that the mutts would whither and die if they set foot on our lands."