An honest conversation

Elize looked at her reflection on the large mirror inside her bathroom. The girl who stared back at her was a more tired version of herself.

It's been a few days since Aileen left, and things were not looking good.

In four days' time, her cheeks had sunk and there were huge dark circles under her eyes. The gray in her eyes was dull, bereft of any life. The bite mark on her chest was now barely visible, yet she could see two faint red dots that reminded her of how it all began. She had angry red and purple patches all over her body, from the various episodes of pain that started hitting Elize from a few days back.

She wished she didn't understand what was happening to her. But her mind kept going back to the conversation she had with Aileen in the garden. This was only making her regret meeting Zack by each passing moment, despite the pangs in her heart that yearned for his presence.

"Ugh!"Elize grunted.

She held her head in her hands and sat down on the bathroom floor. It was the headache again. It's been keeping her awake since forever.

THUD THUD THUD

Somebody was banging at the front door. The noise was only making her pain worse.

Elize covered both her ears with her hands and started humming to herself to block out the noise.

THUD THUD THUD

The banging on the door was more intense this time. Elize raised her voice a bit and laid down on the floor next to the sink. She started rocking herself.

"Please God make this stop." She prayed, curling herself into the shape of a cocoon.

The headache was intensifying by the second. It felt like somebody was driving a hot iron through her forehead, all the way to the back of her head on repeat.

"Shhh, it's okay baby." Someone cooed into her ears.

A woman was on her knees next to her, her blond wavy hair framing her small face. She was looking down at her with much kindness. Her clear blue-gray eyes reminded Elize so much of her father.

If she didn't know any better Elize would have really thought that it was her father's mother. The one who she'd only seen once in a photograph hung over her father's office. It was impossible since she'd never met anyone from her father's side of the family and her grandma was dead- as far as she knew.

She knew that she was just hallucinating.

The visions came and went, always accompanying her pain.
Sometimes it was the woman who resembled her grandma on the armchair next to her window humming some old song, smiling at her. Sometimes it was some other random woman bending down and whispering nice words into her ears.
Whatever it was, Elize had a gut feeling about the people she was seeing. A feeling that told her that they were all dead.
She closed her eyes shut once again.

"Go away." She whispered in a tired voice.

The woman was humming now, a song that seemed familiar to Elize, yet she knew nothing of. All her hallucinations seemed to know this one particular song. Elize listened grudgingly as the humming turned into words.

Hear ye my little wolf
One day you'll remember me
Sleep now my little child
You will rise on a full moon's day...

Elize relaxed as the music slowly started calming her down. Her headache was once again receding. And once again there was peace.

She opened her eyes and let out a breath of relief. Her headache was gone. So was the woman.

She got up from the floor of the bathroom, steadying herself by holding on to the sink. There were fresh bruises on her chest. It looked as if someone was clawing their way out of her body. There were no wounds- only angry bruises that resembled the shape of claws.