For everyone's good

Zack's POV

Zack walked towards the podium, looking everywhere else but at the woman staring him down.

"I thought I could trust you." She said, looking at him with narrowed eyes.

"I didn't kn-"

"Well now, do you see the result of what you've done!" Aileen shouted, pointing down at Elize's unconscious body.

Zack's heartfelt heavy seeing his mate. Elize was lying perfectly still on the ground, her long black hair fanned around her.

Aileen grabbed his forearm and turned him violently towards her. The strength of the old woman surprised Zack.

"She lost control today because of your bite. What would you have done if she died today during the ceremony?!"

"I would have died along with her," Zack whispered, a tear escaping his eyes. He cast his face down, not wanting to put his emotions on display.

Aileen's hold on him relaxed. Zack heard her sigh.

"I did not mean it that way kid." She said in a much softer voice.

"Aileen I would never hurt her intentionally. I swear I didn't know. I can't see her like this." Zack said, letting out a sob.

A cold hand reached out and touched his face. He looked at the small woman standing tall in front of him, a sympathetic expression on her face.

"I know. But you could have come to me first kiddo. I would never have stopped you from being with her. But now look at what happened." She said, wiping his tears away.

"I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what Zack?" A confused voice asked from behind him. Zack turned around to see his mom standing with Alpha Li. The old man's face was blank, but his eyes searched Zack's face for clues.

"It's nothing." Zack lied, quickly moving away from the head witch.

His mother's head cocked to the side. "Really?" She asked, shaking her index finger at him.

Zack kept his expression neutral. He knew that he couldn't say anything, especially while the old man was present. It would only put Elize in danger.

"It's nothing mom. Just talking about some pack stuff." He said with a smile on his face.

Meiling nodded with a soft smile on her face. "But where is your fiance, Zack?" She asked looking around.

"Your what?" Aileen asked, turning towards Zack.

Zack sighed. "She's n-"

"Ahh, there you are sweetie! Where did you disappear to?" Meiling asked in a concerned voice.

Meifeng was standing beside his mom, laughing nervously. What was up with her? Zack thought. He saw Alex come up to the podium and pause for a bit near the girl and then proceed towards him with a determined look.

"Zack, can we talk for a bit?" Alex asked in a serious tone.

"Sure let's go," Zack said, putting his hands on his friend's shoulder. They took two steps away from the podium when they heard a low growl from where his mother stood.

"You! You are the one who threw me off of the child!" Meiling shouted, pointing her finger at Alex.

Zack looked at his mom in confusion. "Mom what-"

"I'm sorry," Alex said bowing ever so slightly.

"What do you mean Alex?!" Zack turned to his friend with narrowed eyes. The thought of any harm coming to his mother enraged him. But Alex must have had a reason, Zack thought.
Alex sighed and looked down. Not a single word came out of his mouth.