The unexpected turn

Alex's POV

"So did you hear about the girl who came with Zack's family?" Brandt asked following him to the backyard.

"Please don't start with the gossip again Brandt." Alex sighed, sitting down on the bench that faced the pack house.

He could hear a lot of noise from the place. Although the Beta's mansion was quite far from the pack house, it irritated his wolf senses. He hated loud noises, and the place was filled with them non-stop, from the last few days. For that very reason, he hadn't trained or shifted for three days. He couldn't wait to feel his wolf again.

"Apparently Alpha Li arranged Zack's marriage with her. I bet Zack had never seen her before. Who does that to people? Like why would he even think of arranging Zack's marriage at all? That's crazy! We have mates! We don't need arranged marriages! " Brandt said, ignoring Alex's comment.

"I don't think it's crazy at all. Back home in India, everyone had arranged marriages. Plus, the concept of having a mate sounds just as ridiculous as love at first sight. That- I'd agree is what's truly crazy." Alex replied.

Alex heard Brandt drawing in his breath to start another argument. He didn't understand how one person could simply talk that much. It was getting to him after three weeks of sharing the same room with Brandt. Elize was way better- at least she used to shut up when she understood that he was not interested, Alex thought. He had been counting days since she left him in the place with the other wolves. He was dying to see his sister and luckily, today was the day that he'd get to go home to her.

Brandt was still yapping about the bond of mates, "...and I truly believe that one day I'll meet mine. But I'm pretty sure it's your sister. But you shouldn't have any problem since we already know so much about each other-"

"Hey, you guys!" Nina's voice interrupted her brother's monologue.

"Great. Please take your brother away." Alex said, stepping into the porch of the Beta's house.

"Anytime brother in law!" Nina said laughing.
Alex huffed at the remark.

He watched her as she grabbed her brother by the collar and dragged a struggling Brandt towards the front side of the house. The two had become quite close from the time Nina insisted on Alex staying over at their house instead of the cramped and noisy pack house. Every day after her security shift, she used to come home to help Alex with his training.

"Oh and Alex?" Nina yelled from the corner.

"Yeah?"

"Zack asked you to go to the pack house. It's urgent!"

"Thanks!" Alex said as he jumped off the bench and shifted into his wolf. He relished the feeling of the wind against his fur as he ran, pushing his limits.

Soon the huge four-storeyed building came into view and Alex shifted back, grabbing a pair of shorts from the basket of clothes hung right behind the parking lot. He walked towards the building hastily putting on clothes and avoiding random teenage girls who stopped to stare at him as he passed.
As soon as he entered the pack house, it hit him. The scent of vanilla and cinnamon filled the place.

He looked around searching for its source. There were too many people in the hall.

"Alex! There you are!" Zack said coming up from behind him.

"Uhh, are we having cinnamon rolls for dinner tonight?" Alex asked, still looking at the people busying around the place.

"I don't know. I need a favor." Zack said dragging him outside again. Alex shook his head and followed his friend to the parking lot.