Chapter 6

Finally. After so much anticipation, It was time to meet Urbosa.

     Urbosa and Zelda had a very long history, similar to Link and Mipha. Urbosa and late Queen Zelda Hyrule were the best of friends who trusted each other greatly, and when Princess Zelda was born, Urbosa was there for the mother and daughter through everything.

     When Zelda was 6 years old, her mother died suddenly. One minute she was alive, well, healthy, then the next, poof, gone forever. The shock of her unexplained death had undone Zelda, leaching out her happiness and security and leaving her lost and unsteady. Nightmares plagued her regularly, making her wake up screaming and her face stained with tears. If it weren't for Urbosa's hand at her back, gently guiding her through grief and loss, then Zelda couldn't imagine where she would be now.

     Urbosa never tried to replace her mother, never tried to make her forget her loss, because she knew as well as Zelda herself did that this was impossible. Instead, she helped her live with the grief, even becoming one with it, the pain forging her into a better woman. 

     (I can't help but wonder that if Link had someone like Urbosa, would he have gone down a different path? Would he have chosen to live life alone?)

     Urbosa was the one Champion-to-be that Link had never met before. She lived in Gerudo Town, a settlement of fearsome female warriors, situated in the oppresive Gerudo Desert. It was said that Ganondorf had once taken the form of a Gerudo male, born every one hundred years. The Gerudo nowadays strongly disliked males because of that man who brought destruction to the glory of the Gerudo, therefore Link had never visited Gerudo Town.

     It was too bad. Gerudo Town was the only settlement that gave you the feeling of honour and familiarity at the same time. The Gerudo were war heroes, so their town reflected that strictness and excellence. However, the busy, bustling place felt strangely comforting, the babble of the crowd all minding their own business, the people going about their lives, the merchants calling you over to look at their wares. 

     And at the heart of it, a majestic throne room, with two towering statues of Gerudo women holding claymores, giving the air a serious and sophisticated feeling. And at the end of the lush red carpet, the Throne of the Gerudo, where Urbosa sat, authority and confidence almost radiating off her.

     "Princess of Hyrule. I accept your proposition without hesitation." Her tone was serious, heavy. Her eyes were full of green fire, or perhaps bolts of lightning "Not only are they planning to ressurect Calamity Ganon, it seems the Yiga Clan is also after our treasured heirloom." She looked aside, where the Thunder Helm sat, proudly glinting underneath the light, humming with power.

     She nodded solemnly. "You have my word. I will not rest until the Calamity falls."

     Zelda matched her tone, eyes intense with determination. "Gerudo Chief Urbosa... On behalf of Hyrule and its King, I thank you." She bowed with gratitude, relief spreading throughout her.

     It was night. Zelda and Urbosa were taking a walk by Gerudo Town. Laughter echoed throughout their conversation.

     "I've never seen you so serious, Urbosa!" Amusement lit up her eyes.

     "Oh my... I can't say the same." Urbosa's tone was gentle, loving. "Ten years ago, you rarely smiled, my little bird."

     "Urbosa..." A hint of sadness crept in with curiosity. "I feel like you've called me little bird before. I was wondering where you got the name from."

     Suddenly Zelda noticed that Urbosa had stopped. Turning around, she saw that Urbosa's hand was on her Scimitar.

     "Halt, and face me." 

     The two travellers that Zelda hadn't even noticed was walking by stopped and turned around slightly.

     "Unlike you traiters, I prefer to fight my enemies head-on."

     The two looked at each other in apparent confusion.

     Urbosa turned around, unsheathing her Scimitar of the Seven fully and assuming an offensive position. "Do your worst."

     The two travelers threw down their disguise and revealed who they were all along: Yiga footsoldiers.

     The first Yiga met Urbosa's blade, the metalic sound ringing sharply. She pushed him back, Scimitars and Sickle clashing as the Yiga blocked Urbosa's attacks. Twirling around like a dancer, Urbosa gracefully parried an incoming attack, a confident smirk on her lips. 

     Spinning, Urbosa hit the butt of her blade on the stomach of the attacker, knocking him off his feet. Twisting further away from the defeated Yiga, Urbosa put her shield back on her back and raised her left hand in a trimphant position. 

     The other Yiga, seemingly forgotten, raised his sickle in a fatal blow. Zelda paniced, screaming "Urbosa!", her mother's death replaying in her mind.

     Snap! The Yiga was hit by a bolt of lightning and fell to the floor, also defeated. 

     Urbosa thrust her blade at her side, turning her head around. Her entire posture screamed POWER. "Out of respect for our Princess, you may keep your lives. Now go!" 

     She sheathed her blade as the Yiga retreated, beaten. Zelda felt her heartbeat slow down.

     "You asked me why I call you little bird."

     "Huh?"

     "When you were but a small child..." An affectionate tone mixed in with her deep sadness as Urbosa turned around to face Zelda completely, "My dear friend called you that, with the sweetest smile that ever graced our land of Hyrule."

     Feeling a prickle in her eyes, Zelda murmured, "You mean mother..."

     Urbosa took a deep breath. "It was 10 long years ago... Your mother had just left this world, yet her little bird spread her wings and became the beacon of light Hyrule needed."

     A moment of silence, both letting memories flood them. 

     "Sometimes, I forget myself..." Urbosa looked at Zelda with the love of a mother. "And get lost in the past."

     Zelda was so glad to have Urbosa fighting alongside her. Urbosa was someone she knew well, someone who knew her well. To have her not half a continent away all the time was comforting, knowing that someone she loved had ber back. 

     The Champions were united. The force of the best of every tribe, with the Knight the Seals the Darkness and their Princess at the head. Hyrule was hopeful, bright on the day they were bestowed the Champion's Garb, which Zelda had carefully crafted for each Champion. The Sanctum shone with a light that was almost Divine, lighting up the eyes of everyone there. 

     (By the way, guys, I'm not gonna include the picture scene because it doesn't really tie in with my current plotline really well... the same reason why I glossed over the Champion Ceremony. It just doesn't really add anything to my plot, and it's not long enough to be able to take up an entire chapter anyway. So, sorry about that and on with the story!)

     After the ceremony, King Rhoam called Zelda aside to speak with her privately.

     "Father." Zelda dipped her head. She had never felt natural around her father. It was like a block of ice formed between them after the death of the Queen.

     "Zelda. How have you and your Knight been getting along?"

     Zelda inwardly winced. She hadn't seen this coming. She had assumed that it was about her power, again. 

     "Fine, fine..." She lied airily. The truth was, they haven't exchanged a single word yet.

     The King narrowed his eyes like he could see straight through her. "Good."

     "May I be excused?" Zelda hastily asked, feeling her skin crawl.

     "You may." As Zelda quickly left, The King watched her walk away until she vanished behind the doors. He sighed, looking up at the heavens.