Chapter 10

After a few days of going around Hyrule and visiting each of the Champions, finally it was time to brave Death Mountain and see Daruk.

     Daruk had sent a plea for urgent help a few days ago. The controls were messy and he didn't understand them at all. He was the only Champion whose progress was concerning. Honestly, if Link was in his shoes, he wouldn't be doing any better. Just the sight of all these commands, all of these codes and technology, it made him dizzy. Taking sword to flesh was easy, straightforward. He just couldn't understand these machines, what made them work. And that made him suspicious of them.

      "From here, we'll make our way to Goron City." Zelda, holding the Sheikah Slate, said, only half directed at Link, trailing her and keeping his distance. "Then, we'll make some adjustments on that Divine Beast so Daruk can manage it as easily as possible. He's figured out how to make it move, however, it's apparent we still have much more to learn."

     "But to think..." A note of wonder and reverence made its way into Zelda's tones. "The Divine Beast was actually built by people... That means we should be able to understand how it works and how to use it to our advantage."

     "These Divine Beasts... So much we don't know... But if we want to turn back Calamity Ganon, they're our best hope." Resolve hardened in her, determination to succeed.

     But then she faltered, hesitated, as if the weight of what she just said hit her.

     "Tell me the truth..." She turned her head, back to the figure following her. 

     "How proficient are you right now, wielding that sword on your back? Legend says that an ancient voice resonates within it. Can you hear it yet..."

     "Hero?" A scrutiny, sarcastic to the point of almost cruel, laced the one word, a reflection of all Zelda's frustrations with herself, the anger at the coldness of fate which granted Link this glorious title at birth for no effort, but kept her suffering for 10 long years with no result.

     Zelda sighed, and when Link gave no response, continued her way.

     The truth was, Zelda hit a nerve. Link had been wondering at his worthiness for a while now, and now to hear the one he was supposed to seal away the darkness with vocalizing his doubts, it hurt. He thought back to the past heroes, their legendary battles, their courage at every obstacle. He wasn't good enough to deserve being spoken of like them, having his name next to them in legend. With no progress with the cooperation with the Zelda of this age, and their relationship becoming more and more tense with each passing day, how was he to put his life in her hands on the final battle field? There was nothing but friendship, trust, and even love in the past Links and Zeldas, so why was this partnership so difficult?

     The journey was cloaked in silence.

     When Zelda and Link mounted Death Mountain and arrived at the top, Daruk was there to greet them.

     "Little guy!" Daruk clapped him on the back, then turned to the Princess with an embarrassed grin.

     "Hiya, Princess, can you take a look at..."

     They walked off, talking animatedly, Daruk insisting that he had tried it before, Zelda poking and prodding everything and assuring Daruk that everything was in order. She kept on trying to give him complicated advice that just confused him further, and Daruk ended up even more tangled up than before.

     When Link arrived at the Divine Beast a few hours later to visit him, Daruk was sitting there, trying to remember everything Zelda had told him and terrified of breaking something. The way Zelda had put it, the Divine Beast was delicate and intricate, not just a giant killing machine. When Daruk told him of the disaster, Link rolled his eyes and just shoved him inside. More confused than ever, Daruk milled around and tried to wiggle the legs, or something like that. Surprisingly, when Link joined him later, Daruk was grinning. 

     "Yeah! I think I'm finally getting the hang of controlling this Divine Beast!" Triumph flowed through his words, along with a considerable amount of relief. A roar from Vah Rudania shook the mountains.

     "I tell you what, sure is a blast piloting a toy like this around!" Daruk laughed confidently. "Let these other Champions know, they better eat their gravel if they wanna keep up with Daruk."

     "Speaking of which... Can you believe this view?" Love for his home was evident in Daruk. "Just look at all those delectable rocks sprinkled on those mountains. Mighty tasty."

     Link and Daruk didn't always agree on what was tasty and what wasn't, but one thing they wholeheartedly concurred on was this: rock roasts are delicious, if you can manage to sink your teeth into it.

     "I may not know a whole lot about this Calamity Ganon thing... but mark my words, I'll protect this land of ours to the death! Right little guy?" And he thumped Link so hard, laughing, he could feel his teeth chatter.

     This was why Daruk was chosen for Champion. Not only his admirable combat skills, but also his burning passion for the land he called home.

     "Hey, by the way... congrats on becoming the Princess's Appointed Knight."

     Link felt his happiness dry up, that warm feeling near where his heart used to be freeze again.

     "That's a really big deal! Protecting the King's daughter." Daruk laughed again jovially. "No pressure!"

     "Seriously though... the Princess is a strong personality. So strong, she can't quite see the range for the peaks. Remember that, and you'll be fine."

     Suddenly the mountain rumbled, agitated by something unexplained. Even the Divine Beast stomping around hadn't caused so much as a rock to roll down, but now...

     "What the--"

     Huge boulders were rolling down a certain peak, heading straight to Link and Daruk. Letting out a yell, Daruk punched forwards, activating his Protection just in time. The boulders cracked into pieces and fell away, raising up clouds of dust and leaving Link and Daruk unscathed.

     "All right... so what was I saying?" Daruk said casually, as if he hadn't done anything more remarkable than just go down to the markets. But he frowned, looking around.

     "That was a little strange..." A small hint of fear gripped his voice. "As far as I know, Death Mountain has been quiet for decades. But if the mountain is shivering enough to send down a bunch of boulders that size, then..."

     He looked down, and met Link's eyes again. "Never mind. Forget I said anything." Staring at Death Mountain again, his face betrayed nothing but a little bit of confusion, but inside, there was a turmoil of worry, worry he didn't have to spread to his people, and especially not to Link.