Four

Zelda's POV (Hmm... What can that possibly mean?)

     He's ready. That lingering connection between us, the threads entwining our spirits, it awoke today.

     He's ready.

     Very gently, I called out to him, my voice cracking from underuse. I prayed that I was correct, that he could hear me when we were half a kingdom apart. My Triforce, the piece that I kept on the back of my right hand, lit up suddenly with a blazing light.

     "Open your eyes..."

Link's POV

     I woke alone.

     A bright blue light shone directly above my face as the water encasing my body drained away, lighting up the misty vapor rising from my bed.

     A woman's voice spoke to me, echoing slightly in the confined space. 

     In the hazy place between wakefulness and unconsciousness, a song, a flash of golden light, a glint of the brightest green. And then, it all fell away from me, and even as I tried to remember what it meant, it faded away,

     "Wake up, Link."

     Link. Was that my name? 

     If so, what did it hold? What did this name mean?

     I sat up, looking around. I could see that I was in some sort of a structure, constellations dotting the walls, glowing brightly. 

     My hands went up to me chest, my head, my face, my limbs. I did not recognize this body. This wasn't mine.

     My fingertip caught a tear running down my cheeks, and I watched it with interest as it traced down my finger and across my arm. 

     Why was I crying? What was this body grieving?

     I went through my mind, racking it, trying to remember a trace of who I was beyond the name Link. 

     Fire made things burn. Gravity made them fall. A sword was pointy and did damage. Wind blew things away. Cold made you freeze. I shook my head with frustration. Mundane, common knowledge facts. Not a hint of who I was before I woke up remained in my mind.

     I stared at the wall opposite to me, trying to get my bearings. Was I going crazy? First hearing voices, then not remembering anything about my life at all. 

     I wasn't sure what made me swing my legs over the edge and stand up, but I did. A rush of dizziness so powerful struck me that I almost fell back down. I could tell that this body was weak, probably wounded and lost blood. I took an unsteady step forwards, and then another. Something was glowing on a pedestal, and my gut told me that it was important. 

     I took the luminous device in my hands, running my unfamiliar fingers over the intricate workings. It didn't seem complete, somehow. Maybe it was designed to reflect how I felt at that moment.

     The same voice that had roused me spoke again.

     "That is a Sheikah Slate. Take it. It will help guide you after your long slumber."

     Something was so familiar about this "Sheikah Slate", like something fluttering in the dark distance, just beyond my reach. I looked at it for a moment, trying to remember. In the end, I strapped it onto my belt and decided to look around.