Chapter 33

Zelda and Link agreed that they could only practice by night. They were still separated by the yawning, wide gap of status difference, and the crowds by the Knight's Barracks generally dispersed at the dead of night, leaving the room free from anyone who asks too many questions.

     A few days later, Zelda was pacing in the Training Room, the gentle silver moonlight pouring through the window, lighting up the darkness and reflecting off the dagger she clutched in her hand. She felt very stupid, alone, standing where she did not belong, hoping that she wouldn't make a fool of herself in the eyes of someone she wanted to embarrass herself the least.

     "Hello."

     Zelda jumped. Link had arrived with absolute silence. He made his way to her, eyes glinting softly in the silver light.

     "Rule number one on the battlefield: never be taken by surprise." His gaze raked over the expression on her face, the way she had started at his arrival, the white of her knuckles on her blade.

     "R-Right." Zelda was thoroughly unnerved. At least that explained how Link seemed to expect every move his enemies made.

     "You prefer knives over swords?" His voice was quiet. "Personally I think knives and daggers have very little reach, but they are light and easy to wield, simple to hide, and is deadly in close combat, given that there is enough power in the attack."

     "Um..." Zelda had only preferred knives because that's what Time Zelda disguised as Sheik used. "Okay."

     His hand reached up and adjusted her position on the blade, moving her thumb so that the grip was stronger, and her index so that it wrapped tightly but not stiffly around the handle. As his callused fingers stroked Zelda's it sent an electric shock up her spine. Zelda was also very strongly reminded of the time Tyander returned to Hyrule Castle. She could feel herself overthinking, confusion clouding her mind, and tried to focus.

     "Right." Link pulled away, leaving a cool, empty space where his body had been. "Your grip is fine. Now, can you show me of the basic dagger attacks?"

     Feeling like more of an idiot than ever, Zelda slashed empty air, keenly aware of Link, closer to her than he had been... Pretty much ever.

     "Your arm is very tight." Link took a knife lying around in the Training Room and copied her slash, tense and constrained. "It will impact your attacking power. Now it you relax slightly, still gripping strongly but allowing yourself more room to move..." His movements were fluid like instead of joints he had water holding his body together, smooth, quick. Beautiful even. Zelda set her face and tried again, eyes narrowed in concentration. It still felt wrong somehow, with none of the grace of which Link carried himself.

     Her concern must have shown on her face. 

     "You know..." Link frowned slightly at her. "I have been training since the age of four, and I have the Triforce of Courage. Countless years of experience with combat. Defeated the ultimate embodiment of evil time and time again. If you're trying to compete against me, you're missing the point."

     Zelda sighed. Why did it seem that Link was wiser than she was?

      "Of course." She pulled back her shoulders, determined to do better. "Is this better?" She tried to loosen her arms, letting the attack carry her in movement.

     "Good." Link nodded in approval. "Try again."

     And they stayed there, practicing hard and as quickly as possible, until a soft beam of golden sunlight touched the dusty floor of the Training Room. Sweat was glistening on Zelda's forehead, and she was aching all over when she flopped down to her bed, but she was content. She hadn't made lots of progress, but at least she was doing something, something productive besides waiting for a power she may not even have to finally show itself. Even though she didn't belong on the battlefield, this was the only way she could be self-reliant. The only way she could be somewhere near strong.