Chapter 14

It was the night of the ball. Longing for the sound of the crickets chirping, Link opened up his window and let the noises and fresh air swamp him. 

     He was going to take watch on the Sanctum, as monsters were more prone to attack in crowded spaces. But monsters were the least of his worries.

     Zelda was noticing. He had seen that concern in her eyes. Only after the meeting 2 days ago had he seen how he looked off. Wiping down the floor of the bathroom so that it was clean of blood was difficult, but wiping clean the strain off himself was impossible. He never had to worry about people finding out before, as no one would really care. But Zelda was a different matter. She was brought up to be a perfect princess, "caring" and "considerate", and therefore very fussy. She would, of course, force him to get immediate attention if she ever found out, so he couldn't let her find out. He could deal with it alone. 

     Closing the window, Link headed down to the Sanctum, head full of thoughts chasing each other like squirrels at play.

     Meanwhile, Zelda was getting changed into her ball gown next door. This was the only thing Zelda ever let her handmaids help her do. Tonight, a soft, sky-blue silk dress that fell to her calves that was so light and so exposing, Zelda felt like she wasn't wearing anything at all. Apparently, men liked this type of dresses.

     The Sanctum was transformed by the monthly ball. Lace and ribbons were draped everywhere, a valiant attempt to make the imposing Sanctum more welcoming. People were already milling around everywhere, talking. The black suits that marked the nobles in hopes of winning Zelda's hand formed an ocean in the Sanctum. 

     "Another full house..." She murmured to herself.

     "Well, you are very popular, Your Highness." One of her handmaids asserted, smiling slightly.

     Zelda bit back the sharp reply that her status was very popular, and made her entrance into the Sanctum.

     The room suddenly quieted. She could feel nearly a hundred pairs of eyes burning on her as she slowly walked down the aisle and took her place at the back of the Sanctum. 

     Almost immediately, there were dance requests. The first one was from a noble named Sir Brockenseign, and this dance wasn't of any interest. He didn't seem to like talking, and behind the relatively handsome face, Zelda couldn't detect any hint of affection. In fact, he didn't seem to notice Zelda at all, even when she was right in front of him.

     Another power luster. Disappointed, Zelda moved on to another one, and the next, and the next. Walking across Hyrule on a daily basis to prayer had made her strong, and it helped her stamina. However, the arms she danced in were all restless, looking past her shoulder onto the Throne at the back of the Sanctum. 

     At least the food was good. Hylia, the food was good. The best of the Castle Kitchens seemed to pour together monthly for the balls, and Zelda could almost stand the more disgusting nobles in exchange for the food.

     The next dances were exactly the same: bow, curtsy, dance, bow, curtsy, part. Over and over and over. She was starting to feel antsy, longing for fresh air, away from the stifling heat of the dance floor. She excused herself and left the Sanctum, out into the gardens.

     Immediately she felt better. The ambiance of the night was more melodious than anything the bands could play. Far away from the company of the people, far away from the responsibilities of finding a husband, she felt almost normal. Peaceful.

     That was, until one of the nobles found her, awash in moonlight. 

     "Princess Zelda."

     "Oh, um..." She searched around for a name and came up with nothing. "Greetings. May I have your name?"

     "Is it important?" His voice alluring, teasing. He was walking closer, closer, until he was too close for comfort, with Zelda dressed like she was.

     "Sir, may I ask you to back off?" A note of panic made its way into her voice. She was slowly stepping back, with the man closing in on her. Her back hit a wall.

     "But Princess... surely the entire point of this ball is to find you a husband?" He was so close to Zelda she could barely breathe. A mischievous smile was burning on his lips. His hands were gripping her wrists in an iron grasp, making escape impossible.

     "You're beautiful tonight... Zelda."

     She screamed. She shrieked as loud as possible in hopes that someone would hear her, but the band was in full swing, top volume, making notice impossible. Terror was flooding her, gripping her lungs, seizing her muscles so she couldn't move.

A/N: Slight trigger warning ahead. There is some sexual abuse in the next paragraph, so please watch out.

     The man's hands were tearing at her clothes, his lips touching everywhere, moving up and down her neck. The light fabric that her gown was made of made it easier for him to touch her in unspeakable places, skin to skin. Choking on her own panic, Zelda tried feebly to push him off, but that seemed to add more pleasure to the man.

A/N: Okay, it's over. Enjoy the rest of the chapter!

     Eternity. That's how long they stood under the silver stars outside the ball for. That's how long it took for someone to finally save her.

     A quiet cough behind him disturbed his lust-filled assault. 

     He turned around quickly, eyes wild. 

     Zelda's eyes were too blurry to see who it was. All she saw was royal blue, and the glint of gold and metal shining in her vision.

     "Who are you?" The noble asked furiously, then suddenly stopped, recognizing whoever it was that was standing there.

     "Just a common blood seventeen-year-old boy who has more sense of honour than you do."

     Although there was fear in his posture, he spat on the ground by the boy's feet.

     "You can never win her, common-blood. She belongs to the upper class men."

     The boy met his gaze. "She is not a prize to be won. And I am quite aware of my own blood, which belongs to the best parents on Hyrule. Leave, now. You are not welcome."

     An ugly expression on his face, the noble pushed past the boy and vanished into the night.

     Zelda collapsed, fell to her knees. She was in tears, mind foggy and unable to comprehend what just happened to her. The boy caught her just before she hit the ground.

     "Princess. Princess, it's Link. Stay with me, stay with me!" The urgency in his voice almost jolted Zelda from her stupor. His voice... it sounds so nice. Why doesn't he use it more?

     "Stay awake, Princess! You can't pass out here!" Frantic now. Where was here?  Zelda felt consciousness starting to slip through her fingers. The cool breeze felt so good on her skin. Why was so much of her skin exposed, anyway? She felt like she should know, but she was sinking too far into darkness to remember.

     The last thing she was aware of was a pair of arms around her and the soft rocking of footsteps lulling her into a deep, deep sleep.