Three

It's been, Hylia, how long?

     At least seventy years, I think. Hyrule's destruction had slowed, leaving the last of the work to be done by nature, tearing down the last of Hyrule's greatness, returning it to zero.

     I had paced these halls infinite times, but there was nothing left to do in the Castle. So I walked down the Great Hall and tried not to notice how the bricks were reduced to nothing but a pile of rubble, leaving a giant, gaping hole.

     I was going insane. I found myself talking rapidly and fluidly to a suit of armor with no recollection of how I got there. My dreams were disrupted by Link's clear blue eyes fading out and being replaced with the pink of malice. My summoning was becoming steadily more difficult, sometimes I had to reach in deep inside my soul to coax out my dwindling power.

     I wrapped my arms around myself, desperate for a bit of human warmth. I had given up on reading Link's notebook, because it undid me, made me more unsteady, and I could not afford that. So I had taken to caressing the ocarina, never putting my lips to it, and closing my eyes, imagining the feel of sunlight gentle on my skin and a light breeze running through my hair. 

     Link's face was blurry in my memories. So were the Champions', and my father's. I could not remember how my mother looked at all. Everyone that I had ever loved was slowly fading away from me, slipping through my fingers, disappearing into the void of forgetting. 

     I was in pieces. Every day, a tiny part of myself broke away and disappeared. I was being slowly torn down, much like the land that I had once known.

     It was the quiet. Somehow, the silence got to me more than anything else.

A/N: Short chapter, I know. However, this feels like a good place to end, and it reflects how Zelda's slowly losing her sanity. Before, her speeches were long, detailed, with a lot of action, moving forward. However, this chapter was still, like the empty numbness that she was experiencing every day. Next chapter, though. Look out for the next one!

All criticism welcome. Thanks and enjoy!