Chapter 8

The Hyrule Castle Town Market was a busy, bustling place. Noise and activity filled the air, along with all kinds of clanging, crashing, and shuffling. The perfect place to blend in and relax in the company of people for once.

     Link pulled down the elastic in his hair, letting it sweep past his shoulders. Discarding his Champion's Tunic, he pulled on the Hylian Tunic, along with an oversized travelling cloak to hide his face. He risked going outside unarmed, only because he didn't want to bring the Master Sword. He looked at himself in the mirror before heading out. Normal? Perhaps. He looked like an innocent traveler, exploring the depths of Hyrule, not the Princess's knight. Somewhat satisfied, he left his room.

     The scent from the Hyrule Castle gardens hit him like a cannonball. Sickly sweet, it smells, simply, not natural, artificial. Just like Hyrule Castle itself. So many colours, bright to the point of blinding, tiring on the eyes. Link thought back to the elegant beauty of Hyrule herbs, the blooming lavender of blue nightshades. That was true beauty, beauty tied in with use. Or perhaps that was just his common blood.

     He got some funny glances in Hyrule Castle Town Market, but no one recognized him, thankfully.

     The Market was quite busy that day. Merchants were calling over customers, people were gossiping with each others, prices were haggled over, and laughter among young children pervaded throughout the place.

     Peace. So fragile, so easily shattered.

     Suddenly, a fist seized Link's hood, dragging him out of the Market. He struggled furiously, kicking and trying to free himself, but he was obviously outnumbered.

     They dragged him to a nearby river and threw him down to the ground. Wiping the blood off his face, he turned around and faced whoever took him. 

     He knew his captor. 

     It was Groose. Groose, the biggest bully in the Royal Guard training barracks. Groose, who never fistfights without his buddies, who Link never cared to learn the names of. 

     "Well, well... Look who we've got." Groose smirked, tearing off Link's hood and revealing his face.

     "If it isn't Link!" Groose exclaimed in false surprise. "Stritch, Calvin, look at this toughie!"

     They began laughing, Link frozen in spot, torn between two options. 

     "He's the Princess's Knight? He looks like he can't even lift a sword!"

     "Hey, Link! Didn't they say girls weren't allowed in the Royal Guard?"

     "Forget about swords, his opponents probably fell over laughing!"

     Groose kicked him sharply. "Go on, fight back, you little crybaby! How strong are you really?" His two cronies snickered.

     Fight? Or just let them get bored?

     Link was just as capable in fistfights as he was in swordplay, but was it worth it? If he fought back, it could attract attention from the Markets. If he let them hit him until they were satisfied he was defeated, it would be over sooner. 

     Of course, Link knew that Groose wasn't fighting to assert dominance. He was scared of Link, naturally. He felt slighted, the competition Link gave him was daunting. To fight back, Link would be sinking to Groose's level, even if they were slowly beating him to a bloody mess.

     Was he even worth fighting for? So what if he broke that day? He was only a tool, to be used and then discarded. He would heal, of course, the wounds closing and the bruises fading. The mental impact of that day would not dull his blade, would not make him less deadly in battle. So why fight?