Chapter 16

"Ty-Tyander?"

     Tyander smiled. "Hiya, Zelda."

     Zelda could barely believe her eyes. "No way. No way."

     But he was there, standing before her. The same messy brown hair, the same freckles dotting his face, the same lanky height that they had always joked about, the same soft, grey eyes. 

     And then Zelda was running to him, closing their distance, and attacked him in a fierce hug. Then, she pulled away and punched him right between his eyes.

     "Where have you been all this time, you dolt?" Affectionate rage burnt in her tear-filled eyes as Tyander blinked furiously, recoiling. "You can't just run off and not come back, Hyliadamnt!"

     "Okay, okay, Zel, calm down." Apprehension crept into his voice as he backed off. "I'm right here, no need to shout so much."

     "You... you actual jerk!" Zelda's voice was frantic, filled with worry. "You were supposed to be dead, Ander! Explain, right now!"

     "Okay, whatever you say, Princess." Tyander sounded tired. "So I was off in battle, right? My trainer was extremely lax about his job, so I was way underprepared. I was badly wounded and the moblin that was fighting me didn't bother finishing me off. I somehow managed to survive, on the battlefield, and crawled to the nearest settlement, which just so happened to be Clock Town in Termina. And I spent the two years recovering from my wounds. I even learned quite a bit about Termina in my time there. I learned how to milk a cow and shear a sheep, how to plant things, take care of farm animals, and make life, instead of take it away. It was..." He laughed. "Home, you know? I don't think I was ever cut out to be a soldier, so I didn't want to return to Hyrule where I have to be one. But then, I heard some news in Hyrule, and I remembered you, most of all, who had to grieve for me. You know my family cared nothing for a son. And then, I suppose, guilt made me come back." He gave an apologetic smile. 

     Zelda was quite tempted to hit him again, but settled for another fearsome embrace, just to make sure he was real. And when arms wrapped around her, she could think of nothing other than how glad she was to have her best friend back.

     King Rhoam was the first person Tyander went to when he arrived at the Castle. As the son of a noble, King Rhoam was very welcoming and gave him a room to himself. Then, he roamed the place, searching for Zelda, the only reason why he returned to Hyrule. And now, they were there, talking and catching up on news and just, enjoying the presence of each other after two years apart. She was shocked at how much Tyander had changed, from a happy, carefree boy to a man burdened with the horrors of a battlefield and craving acceptance for who he was. 

     The next few days were enjoyable. Although they had both became someone different over two years, their relationship was the same as ever. Once Zelda came back from praying or court and Tyander had finished with his temporary job as a helper in a shop in Hyrule Castle Town, they would do all sorts of wacky, fun things together. Discovering things in Hyrule Castle even Zelda had never seen before. Going fishing in the docks at the back of the Castle. Daring each other to do the most embarrassing things and laughing at each other's hair.

     Zelda had told Tyander about Link, but for some unexplained reason, she found herself reluctant to tell him everything. It felt strangely personal, so much so that she couldn't tell Tyander, the one she told absolutely everything to, about their strange relationship.

     Speaking of Link, Tyander was one year older than Link, and seemed to like him a lot. He went out of his way to say "hi" to him passing in the corridors, and whenever Link wasn't facing their direction, Tyander would stare at his back with the strangest expression, one that Zelda had never seen on Tyander's face before. It was not only concern, so much deeper than that.