Chapter 35

Link threw his window open, letting the light flood every corner of his rather dusty room. A torrent of fresh air ruffled through Link's loose hair, and he closed his eyes, letting the scents of the gardens outside swirl past him.

     He climbed onto the windowsill and swung his legs, dangling outside. He strained his eyes, hoping against hope that he might catch a glimpse of them. And there they were.

     Link's chest ached when he saw them, and he suddenly found that he didn't want to watch in the first place, yet his eyes were glued to them.

     The soldiers marching to battle had an almost tangible sense of purpose, even at this distance. Their armour glinted sharply in the morning sun, their swords and spears by their sides, ready for battle. Their formation pristine, confidence obvious, knowing the importance of their quest. 

     That was where Link should have been. Marching with them, with trusted companions at his side, far away from the chaos at the Castle.

     There was a knock at his door. He tore himself away from the soldiers leaving for battle and responded. 

     "Hi Pri-- Zelda." Even he couldn't disguise the weariness in his voice. The longing for the sanity of bloodshed, the memories of what happened yesterday, the strangeness of calling the Princess, "Zelda". He gave a faint smile.

     "Link." Her grin was much warmer and fuller than his, bright with the newfound friendship. "Shall we go?"

     Link nodded and hopped off the windowsill, grabbing a hair tie from his desk as he went. Zelda smiled again and turned away to let him prepare.

     Both of them seemed to have given up trying to pretend they were uncaring strangers. After all, they only had limited time together now, with Zelda engaged, and the Calamity about to be destroyed. She would not be needing a knight after she is married, and even less so when the dangerous times are past. The thought of a world where they part ways forever was already unimaginable to Zelda, although they had only spend a few months together, although it would come with a safe, peaceful world.

     The praying session was one of the best by far. Although she was as clueless about the power as ever, when she closed her eyes, she thought she saw a glimmer of light penetrate the suffocating darkness for a fraction of a second.

     She turned away from the statue, not daring to believe what she saw. Almost subconsciously, she looked at the palm of her hand, turning it over to watch the faint outline of her Triforce, present at birth. Was it just her, or was it pulsating slightly?

     "Link?" He turned at once, watching her with concern. She shook her head. "Can I.... Try something?"

     "Of course. Did you feel something?" He made his way to her at once, his blue eyes lit up from the divine light emanated from the Goddess statue. 

     She thought back to when she had last activated her power. The rush of surety, the way the golden, blazing burst of the purest light felt in her fingers. That had been when she was teetering on the edge of death, with the help of Link's Triforce. She had been scared to try it out ever since, half afraid of what she might do if it happened again, half fearing that it would be another hope dashed.

     But now... was it possible? Was it a sign that she should try again?

     "I want you to stand behind me." She said, very quietly. "And raise your hand like you did at Ganon's hideout. Remember?"

     It was a mark of Link's self restraint that he asked no questions, but did as she asked. He raised his left hand, the one bearing the Triforce. Heart pounding in her throat, she took a breath and laced her fingers through Link's.