Chapter 41

And so dawn broke over Hyrule.

     Link managed to bring down a boar for food, and dared to start a fire at a cooking pot. Although Zelda was starving, she couldn't choke down a mouthful.

     Likewise, Link stared at the food, not actually seeing it.

     He looked remarkably normal considering what he had just gone through the past day, but this was the man who managed to convince everyone that he was perfectly fine for years.

     "Link..." Her voice broke. She wanted to talk to him, but was so scared of letting out her own demons. 

     Urbosa would never be able to give her her advice now. Her throat constricted and she had to fight off her tears.

     Link avoided her gaze by throwing his food aside. "We need to keep running."

     "Where?"

     "The last place I can think of." Link sighed, raising his eyes to the heavens. "Akkala Citadel. It's the best fortified place in all of Hyrule." He brushed the hair out of his mud-flecked face. "If it fell, then there's nowhere left to go."

     They packed up the little bit of belongings scattered around the campsite, making sure to cover up any trail that they might have left. Then, in silence they set off again, taking care not to look at each other.

     They passed by Zora's Domain, but didn't dare stop. News must have gotten around already that Mipha was dead, and to show their faces there was to tear open the wound from its delicate binding of numbness.

     Link had fought off two Guardians already as they fled, although somehow he wasn't hurt. However, the shock was starting to wear off, and as he ran, he imagined that it wasn't a flock of Guardians chasing him, it was his own grief, the pain he wouldn't let himself feel. He knew that it was inevitable that he would run out of strength and let it swallow him. So he ran faster.

     Everything depended on him. Everything. 

     Zelda. The Kingdom. Zelda. The Kingdom.

     If I reach Akkala Citadel, it will all be okay. Focus on reaching Akkala Citadel. One step. Then another. Then another.

     He couldn't breathe.

     Another. Another. Another.

     Zelda's hand was cold in his.

     One more step. One more.

     Deny it. Cover it up with silence. Nobody would care at this stage.

     And then Akkala Citadel was within sight. 

     Link had expected this, but it was a hard blow nevertheless.

     It was crumbling, falling slowly, almost gracefully. Bits of its walls was breaking apart, freefalling down to the earth. An army of Guardians tore apart the carefully constructed fortress, slaying all that dared to stand in their way. A fleet of Skywatchers circled the ruined Citadel, casting their deadly gaze onto the ground.

     Zelda stumbled backwards, unwilling to believe her eyes.

     "No..." She gasped. "No way."

     And then Link's freezing fingers closed on her wrist. A Guardian patrolling nearby had spotted them.

     Suddenly no less than six red lasers were aiming at them. Relying on instinct, Link grabbed Zelda and rolled as the Guardians shot, the impact starting a raging fire from the trees.