Chapter 25

A/N: Hey everyone! Finally, I'm done with the memories for a good while (I love how Ravioli just doesn't exist here XD). Well, in between Slumbering Power and To Mt. Lanayru, there's going to be a lot more plot-related drama, and yes, Zelda will find out about Link's family in later chapters. Stay tuned and enjoy!

     It was the next day, and another ball. Zelda had specifically requested studier fabric for her gown tonight, and was glad to see that no lusty suitors could tear it off so easily this time. It was midnight blue, with a softly shimmering skirt like the very essence of starlight captured in the lace and silks, and a silver crescent moon belt wrapped around her waist, edged in gold. Her makeup was done very meticulously, with a hint of navy blue powder on her eyelids that made her green eyes more striking, highlights and shadows on her face, and a very light natural coloured nail polish.

     She didn't look like a Princess, and that was what scared her.

     She looked like a Queen.

     She could see intimidation in Link's eyes when he took his first look at her, and for very good reason. It wasn't Zelda, this gown, this makeup, this finery. Link didn't know this woman standing before him, and it was as if he was suddenly reminded of the status difference between them. It made a knot in Zelda's chest, this insurmountable distance that can never be closed, no matter how hard they tried.

     The Sanctum was, once again, full. The sheer noise hit her like a truck as she opened the doors to make her entrance. She could never get used to how many men wanted her hand, how many men hungered for power.

     Link was on duty again. The glimpses of his royal blue tunic between the black-clad bodies were comforting, like an anchor in an ever shifting ocean. 

     After a couple of unbearably boring hours, Zelda made a very rash decision. But if she didn't do this, then she was doomed to another late night of slowly dying from dullness. Perhaps it was finally time to have a little bit of fun.

     When she was sure no one was watching, she slipped away. Link was lazily watching the leaves rustling in the breeze, Sword balancing on its tip and his hands resting on its dull end, as usual. He looked up as Zelda made her way to him.

     "Why aren't you dancing, Princess?"

     A small smirk crept up her face. "Well... I just so happened to have a free slot, and..." She trailed off, savoring the surprise in his eyes.

     "You've got to be kidding me." Link looked so apprehensive, Zelda almost laughed out loud. Here was a man who would take on two Lynels at once and not even look winded, but he was sweating over a short dance.

     "Come on~" Zelda wheedled. "I'm so bored, I could just about steal your sword and stab someone."

     "But you're not allowed," Link rolled his eyes.

     "Ex-actly." Her mischievous smirk suddenly got wider. "So? What do you say?"

     "Fine, fine. Hylia," Link sighed as he dropped his Sword, "anything to get you to leave me alone."

     "Yay!"

     Link had never been taught how to dance. Zelda had to take his hand and actively place it on her waist. He looked so stiff, he could barely move. 

     "Relax, Link." She sighed in exasperation. "How do you expect to dance if you look like you have a broom taped to your spine?"

     "You asked for this..." Link gritted his teeth. "Ok. You lead."

     They were outside, the wind making their hair dance. Link's callused palm in Zelda's flawlessly manicured hand, a Princess dancing in the arms of a soldier. With the earth underneath their feet and the smell of fresh air swirling all around them, and the most beautiful music in Hyrule of the croaking of frogs and the sleepy chirp of crickets, they began to dance.