Chapter 19

Zelda had just finished another pointless trip to the Spring of Courage, offering every last bit of her strength and dedication to no avail. Her frustration showed in her silence, and Link... he didn't know what to say, so he stayed quiet as well. He didn't mind that she sometimes took out her rage on him. Honestly, it was much better than before where the Princess had attacked him personally in her anger, but it was difficult to see how much this weighed on her, made her seem small. Especially now that the Calamity was drawing ever nearer with every passing day.

     However, there was something to look forward to that day. She would go and pay a visit to Mipha, making sure Ruta was working well with the Champion of Water. And secretly, she just wanted to see Mipha and laugh freely about silly, teenage things, exactly like how Link wanted the company of Daruk. 

     Zora's Domain was as peaceful as ever. The splashes as the waterfalls hit lake, the faint light dancing on the rippling waters, the laughter and chatter of the people, living their lives.

     Mipha was playing with Sidon in the Throne Room when Zelda and Link arrived. She smiled when Zelda waved and said something too soft for her to hear to Sidon. His eyes widened and he ran off. 

     "Link! Princess Zelda!" Mipha's eyes were alight. "So what brings you to our Domain?"

     "Hello, Princess Mipha. So good to see you again! How is Vah Ruta? All functioning well?"

     "Of course! The Divine Beast responds to my touch so smoothly, it's like she's obeying my thoughts rather than my operation." Mipha laughed, the sound silver like bells. "She really is ingeniously built, isn't she?"

     "I know, right?" Zelda started becoming excited. "All these Sheikah technology, wow! The wheel within her helps regulate the water level by the nearest nanometer and..." They walked off, Mipha listening to Zelda's rant about the technology with interest, somehow, leaving Link to wander in Zora's Domain aimlessly waiting for the Princesses to return, feeling suspiciously like a third-wheel, which was quite ridiculous, but he didn't know exactly how ridiculous yet.

     Zelda and Mipha were at the edge of the Eastern Reservoir Lake, Mipha's feet dipping in the water, Zelda standing behind. Divine Beast Vah Ruta was lazily lounging in the waters, water spewing out of her trunk. Occasionally, she would flick her ears and move her tail, just like how a real elephant does.

     "So Mipha..." Zelda giggled, knowing how Mipha would react to her next question. "I never got around to asking you. Who is the guy you've got your eyes on? 'Cause I can definitely tell you like someone."

     Mipha did exactly what Zelda expected her to. She jumped out of the water in shock and began sputtering incoherently, going pink. Zelda laughed and waited petiently for her to answer her question.

     When Mipha calmed down slightly, she seemed to find the fact the Zelda asked this question embarrassing. 

     "Well, you see..." Mipha's voice was almost inaudible, and she blushed even more red. "You know him. He's the one that follows you around all the time, after all."

     Zelda's mouth fell open. At the rate Mipha was going, her pale face would match her scales soon.

     "You don't mean... You don't mean Link?!?" Zelda squealed incredulously. She clapped her hands over her mouth. "How? How did you even manage it???"

     Mipha giggled and looked down. 

     "Does he know?" Zelda found this whole thing quite new. She had never had to deal with actual, real love before, and she was curious about how it worked. "How does it feel?"