Chapter 23

It was a few days later. Zelda had been taken to sitting on her windowsill, going down to the stables, and badgering Link for any news from outside the Castle walls whenever he returns to Hyrule Castle from wherever he might have been. 

     What she wanted was someone to talk to. Someone to roam the empty halls of the Castle with. Someone to make her endless, boring days on house arrest a little brighter. A little more interesting. 

     Fine. She was lonely. Happy?

     Tyander was gone. He's gone and never coming back. The only person she felt truly comfortable with after all this time was dead or dying. She chocked back a sob and ran her fingers over the drawing of Tyander again, wishing he was here with her.

     There was a quiet knock at her door. Zelda immediately dropped the drawing on her cluttered desk and called "Enter!"

     Link walked in and caught her expression. "Princess? Are you all right?"

     "Oh! Um..." She was caught off guard. Link never asked questions like this. "Yes, fine."

     His eyes fell on the drawing on her desk, creased and softened by touches and tears. "I see. Well, it's around time for us to make our way to the Spring of Courage."

     "Of course."

     Another fruitless session. Another breaking down, the broken side of her showing. The Springs brought out the worst in her, the most ugly of her emotions. This time, Link did not hesitate. He rushed to her and took her out of the water, Zelda's head lolling back, unconscious already.

     Link sat with Zelda's head on his lap, too tired to move her. She exhaled, turning up her head and, mouth open, continued to sleep. Her expression looked tortured, like even the sanctuary of sleep was giving her pain.

     Hesitantly, slowly, he brushed a lock of hair out of her face, and just held her, telling her using no words that she was stuck with him for a very long time, and like it or not, she would never be alone.

     She snuggled closer to him, seeking human touch. Conscious or not, she was doing a very good job of turning Link pink.

     When Zelda woke up in this position, Link had fallen asleep, leaning on the Master Sword. His hair was falling into his eyes, and every trace of the soldier gone, replaced by a boyish, vaguely feminine face, unveiled by masks, looking exactly like his age and not half a decade older. She disentangled herself and took a moment to collect herself. Gazing at Link, completely wiped free of stoniness and responsibilities, he looked positively cute.

     Wait... what? Zelda, come on. These teenage hormones and sleep are making your mind fuddled, Miss Wisdom.

     "Link! Wake up!"

     "Hmm?" Link rubbed his eyes, stirring. "Did I doze off? Sorry."

     "Never mind. Come on, let's go home. No luck today." Her weariness showed in her tone.

     "You know, Princess..." He hesitated, not sure how to put his thoughts into words. "You shouldn't have to feel responsible for Hyrule. It's a bit much... and the King isn't thinking like a responsible father. I..." He sighed. "Just, remember that you don't have to fight alone. Okay?"

     "I... don't?" She hated the vulnerability in her voice, making her sound like a scared little girl instead of the reincarnation of the Triforce Princess. "Thanks. Well, let's go, I suppose."

     They were halfway across Hyrule when suddenly, the sky rumbled. Link looked up, completely caught unawares. The clouds were an angry gray, and suddenly, the sky split open and a heavy rain began to fall. Lake Hylia was completely transformed. Once smooth and peaceful, it now rippled and raged, writhing, as the weather worsened. Link and Zelda were caught, taking refuge underneath a tree, as the storm pushed on, unleashing all of its fury on Hyrule.

     Link had begun to practice swordplay to pass the time, while Zelda watched him. He was truly graceful, the Sword but an extension of his arm, seeming to obey his thoughts rather than his movements. Beautiful, and deadly at once.

     "I doubt this will let up anytime soon..." Zelda gazed at the dark sky, the angry rain relentlessly hitting the soil. Link kept half his mind on his invisible enemy, lending her an ear. She had just been through an exhausting ordeal, and her thoughts seemed to be clouded by weariness.

     "Your path seems to mirror your father's." Link felt a stab of pain and carefully kept his expression neutral. "You've dedicated yourself to becoming a knight, as well."

     Link continued to swing his Sword, dealing two ferocious slashes to the air. He wanted to stop listening, but he swallowed his apprehension. The Princess had changed. She wouldn't hurt him on purpose. 

     "Your commitment to the training necessary to fulfil your goal really is quite admirable. I see now why you would be the Chosen One." She turned her head away, but not before Link caught a very light blush on her cheeks. 

     "What if... one day, you realized you just weren't meant to be a fighter." Link got the distinct impression she was starting to imply that these words were applicable to Zelda herself, as well. "Yet the only thing people ever said... was that you were born into a family of Royal Guard, so no matter what you thought, you had to become a knight. If that was the only thing you were ever told, I wonder then... would you have chosen a different path?"

     It took Link a moment to realize what she was saying. All her life, she had been educated in the ways of Princess, her royal lineage gave her no choice, no option. She was taught how to wear a dress, how to deal with court problems, how to be a good Queen one day. But what if she was taught how to be something else? A Sheikah researcher, perhaps? 

     But Link couldn't imagine being anything other than a warrior, a soldier. He had the soul of the hero. He had the Triforce of Courage. His father would have wanted him to be a knight and only a knight. But who was he truly living for? His deceased family, whose wishes was that only he was to be accomplished? His past selves, who have set an insurmountably high bar by defeating the timeless evil over and over again? The goddess Hylia, who had given him one difficult task and didn't seem to truly care how much he suffered in the process?

     If he wasn't living for himself, helping others of course but still sparing a thought for his own well being, then would he have been standing here, by the Princess's side?

     Link found that he didn't have an answer.

A/N: Hey everyone! All criticism welcome, but no swearing please and don't be rude. Thanks for reading and enjoy.