Sleeping in Shadows

The breath of the wailing wind rolled down the sides of the sharp jagged mountains, which loomed above us like luring thorns piercing the stygian skies. It's bitter caress blustered through every lamenting branch, quivering fern, and bristling bush of the dark and deathly forest. Tendrils of my golden hair danced out in front of my sorrowful face to it's grievous song, twirling against the tangled shadowy locks of my frightening savior.

We'd been riding for what felt like a long while, and not once had I relaxed and loosened my grip around his neck. Luckily, he didn't seem to mind. He'd only murmur softly to me in that bizarre unearthly language and awkwardly rub my back each time I'd start weeping again. Yet despite his kindly comportment towards me, I was still extremely wary of him. 

I didn't know what kind of creature he was, nor whether or not his intentions were good. Fear of the possibility that he might have saved me just so he could kill and eat me himself lingered in the back of my mind. It was a strange feeling to have someone as both a source of comfort and safety, yet also, fear and unease.

Loud splashes and the clomping of hooves resounded up from beneath us, as the cadaverous stallion we were riding leisurely made it's way across a shallow river. The dark glossy water gently parted around many bones and sharp rocks which dwelled within the swirling sands of it's trickling trail. I'd been staring blankly over the man's shoulder, watching how the passing trees would come into view, then seemingly become swallowed up by the opaque mist as we made our way further through the woods. It felt like being trapped in a dream, unable to awaken from a hellish nightmare. 

I finally mustered up the courage to take a closer peek at him. Hoping that he wouldn't notice my movement, I ever so slowly tilted my head back and began to really take in his otherworldly features. His pointed ears and ethereally handsome face had me legitimately wondering if he was actually an elf... No, maybe not. At least not with those fangs, claws and eyes. Perhaps he's some sort of vampire, or demon? ...Maybe? 

He noticed me blatantly studying him like a confusing dinner menu at an unfamiliar restaurant, and shifted his uncanny crimson gaze to my uncertain yet curious one. I immediately stopped trying to figure out what type of mythological creature he was, and timidly shifted my eyes away.

"Human." He gently spoke as if trying to regain my attention. My heartrate rapidly quickened, while I reluctantly dragged my gaze back up to meet his. A soft sympathetic smile fluttered across his otherworldly face, with a look of both captivation and disquietude. "Okay." He comfortingly said, as if he were telling me that everything was alright. With the reins still in his hand, he pointed forwards while saying something and nodding in the same direction. 

My body felt stiff and sore as I slightly turned around to glace over at what he was gesturing towards. I didn't see much. Just more insufferable wasteland. Thick ominous fog laid draped across the melancholic undergrowth of the forest floor, swirling throughout the darkness like a ghostly enchantment overflowing from a witch's caldron. We were now riding up along the riverbank, were the water seemed to grow a bit deeper than where we had crossed over. 

Then I noticed that we were approaching the rocky base of one of the mountains. A large, yet gently flowing waterfall came into view through the darkness. It's pale current passed beneath the shadows of the mountainside, then hypnotically cascaded over large stacked stones to melodiously endow a wide pool, which fed the river with it's watery offering. The sounds of shrill chirps and trickling water filled my ears, while strange smells far more pleasant then what was in the depths of that malodorous forest filled my nose. Little burgundy ferns and dark quivering flowers were grievously sprinkled throughout the stony versant. A few dark twisted trees, adorned with small red fruits daintily dangling from their branches, stood menacingly beside the water. Their silvery leaves writhed in the breeze, while some sort of red sap oozed from the branches.