Rise of the Serpent

~Valarendrik~

The fiery glow of ghoulish wall scones flickered throughout the guest room. I solemnly stared at myself in the mirror, taking in the intricately designed hellish armor my frame was adorned in, trying to mentally prepare for the battle that would soon ensue. Thick obsidian spikes glistened in the dim light, curving up my arms and over my shoulders, accented by subtle hues of crimson in the polishing. It was somewhat similar yet still quite different than abyssal armor, not as bulky yet much more menacing in appearance. Although, I felt it was unnecessary. I'd always fought just fine in casual clothing. My hair was tied back in a half-up style, allowing it to sway in the warm breeze blowing in from the giant hole in the wall.

My fiery determination to rescue Lucilia and the others had scorched away the last of my anxiety. I felt rabid and brimming with bloodlust. I yearned to watch Tenveriel crumble before me, rupturing in a cloud of dust beneath my power. To cleanse the streets of the demented and odious citizens who did nothing but rape and consume one another. I would wield both my hatred and my righteousness through the double edges of my twin blades, ending the lloigor's reign of aischrolatreia and death. I would avenge my horse and retrieve my wife. My mother would pay for all that she had done. And I was going to ensure that the fall of Tenveriel happened while under her rule.

I will stop at nothing until I have my little Lucy back in my arms... 

Azathoth had used his military training to devise an attack strategy, distracting my mother and her army while Gwendolyn and William snuck into the castle to retrieve everyone. And although I would much rather be the one to go in, it would raise suspicion if I wasn't seen during the battle. Cerindier would surely figure out where I was and what I was doing. And the last thing we needed was for her to send a lloigor in after us while everyone was trying to escape... Plus, I had my own highly important and secret task.

The faint sound of tiny claws scraping against glass suddenly caught my attention, momentarily distracting my mind from the weight of my thoughts. I looked over to find Speedy trying to get to the crispy head of lettuce right outside of his enclosure. Shadows swirled at my feet as I glided over to the strange yet beloved creature. I softly smiled while carefully pulling a piece of the lettuce off and lowering it in front of him. His green toothless turtle mouth opened wide, then he began to happily munch on the tasty treat. I couldn't have Lucilia coming home to find a hungry turtle after all. 

The woosh of softly flapping wings came from behind me as Azathoth appeared with a puff of black smoke. "Are you ready?" His voice rumbled while I turned to face him. The hellish armor he sported matched mine in style, however, the upper half had a slightly different shape to allow his wings full mobility. His ebon hair was tied back in a high braid and black smudging imposingly framed his glowing eyes. "Everyone's waiting in the living room."

I nodded, determination gleaming in my abyssal gaze. "I do not wish to delay another moment. I've never endured such torture quite like this feeling of separation."

A brotherly smile softly curved upon his lips. The flickering firelight created dark shadows and highlights across his demonic features while he looked at me with loyalty and compassion. "Then let's go get your wife back. If anyone deserves a happy life and marriage, it's you."

He placed his hand on my shoulder and gave it a squeeze, then black smoke surrounded us both. The guest bedroom disappeared, replaced by the living room. Gwendolyn, Darrell, and William were all waiting around, dressed in their own eldritch sets of armor. Maribel and the four tenverian children were seated on the long seat, which I now knew was called a couch. Grief marred her features from having recently learned of Parker's fate, with black tears staining her cheeks as she spoke with Gwendolyn and Darrell. The children, however, seemed far more at ease here than they'd been in the abyss... Well, all but Rosalie that is.