True Beauty

"Shit!Shit!Shit!" I yanked back the lacy curtains and peered out my bedroom window just as a silver BMW with douchebaggy orange flames painted on the sides came peeling into the gravel driveway. It hastily pulled into a shaded spot under an old burly maple tree, with a few rosehip-adorned wild rose bushes curling up around it. 

As soon as Pema told me that Justin had seen that I was back, I knew he'd come looking for me as soon as possible. Especially since the news had been posted to social media. He'd surely want to look like the diligent and loving boyfriend he skillfully portrays. Dread loomed over my soul like an ominous shadow as I stared down at the car, the thought of seeing him again making me physically nauseous. 

Valarendrik's clawed hand lightly squeezed my shoulder in reassurance as he stood behind me like a shadowy spirit. "Are you sure you don't want me to kill him?" 

"Yes, I'm sure." My eyes widened and panic gripped my heart as both Justin and his friend whom he treated more like a lackey, Terrence, quickly exited the car. Terrence was filming him with his phone, his sandy-blond quiff haircut nearly identical to Justin's chocolate waves. They both seemed in a hurry, with their stark-white sneakers swiftly shuffling across the driveway in perfect synchronicity. "Quick! You have to hide right now! He might be filming live!" I quickly ushered Valarendrik toward my closet then ripped the door open. "Getin!Getin!Getin!" I frantically hissed.

He furrowed his brows in confusion. "I do not understand what that means. Is it dangerous?"

"No, and I don't have time to explain, just hide and don't come back out until I say you can!" I shoved at him like a madwoman.

The hangers squeaked as his large shadowy body reluctantly slipped into the small space, leaving the door slightly ajar. Meanwhile, I rushed across the room and yanked the blanket from my bed. I almost stumbled over the rug as I threw it on top of his otherworldly armor in the corner, successfully hiding it from sight.

"Justin's here!" Pema's voice loudly rang from the kitchen as I heard him force his way in, alerting me to his presence with the tone of an alarmed guinea hen. 

"Fuck! Shit! Fuck! Dammit! ShitShitShit!" 

I panickily cursed under my breath while trying to figure out what I should pretend to be doing. My gaze landed on an old dusty copy of "Pride and Prejudice" loafing on my nightstand next to my fancy tap lamp. I hastily swooped the book up and opened it to a random page while swiftly sitting on the disheveled blanketless bed, just as Justin abruptly burst into the room without knocking once.

"Lucilia, my love!" He dramatically exclaimed while rushing across the room to kneel before me. Terrence and Pema both followed closely behind. Terrence was busily filming, while Pema's eyes warily darted around the room, no doubt searching for Valarendrik. 

I screamed in startlement and threw the book up into the air, having expected him to at least knock first. "Justin!" I exclaimed with wide nervous eyes.

A beam of sunlight poured in through the window and brightened his seafoam-green eyes as he longingly stared up at me. His warm palms cupped my cheeks then he tried to press a loving kiss to my lips. I gently thrashed my head and leaned away, holding a hand up between us to push him off. He pretended not to notice and continued on with his act, forcing the kiss to go deeper while tightening his grip on my face. 

Justin's hands moved to swoop up mine while he pulled away from the kiss, then he held them to his forehead while tears fell from his eyes. "I've missed you so, so much, my sweet beautiful Lucy." He tenderly kissed my knuckles then sucked in a deep dramatic breath and shifted to give the camera a better angle of us.