The Calm Before the Storm

Garbled murmurs and clanking utensils filled the bustling little Italian-style restaurant called 'The Rosetti Rosewood.' Dimly lit stained-glass hanging lamps created a warm and welcoming atmosphere as they beautifully dangled over the charming dining area. Potted fig trees, paintings of the beauteous Italian countryside, and tiny tealight candles further embellished the room. The squeaky red leather cushion of a booth squished beneath my butt as I scooched my way in, with my mother, Linda, taking a seat across from me. 

Although she had dark circles of exhaustion beneath her hazel eyes, they still glittered beautifully in the light of the little candle between us. I felt guilty as I subtly examined her, seeing how the stress of my disappearance had taken a physical toll on her health. Grey hairs now dusted the shoulder-length sandy brown hair which framed her now slightly sunken-in cheeks. And she was a bit underweight, as though the pounds had been shed too quickly through unhealthy means. Pema had told me that she'd been sick with grief, but seeing the effects gnawed at my heart in an unexpectedly painful way.

...My gosh, she must have been stressed to hell.

"Thanks for taking me out to dinner, mom." I warmly smiled over at her. 

She lovingly smiled back while shucking her purse from her shoulder and placing it on the seat. "Of course. I'm just so glad that you're okay." An overwhelming amount of gratefulness glistened in her gaze. She reached across the table and took my hands in hers with a gentle squeeze. "So tell me, what happened? Where were you all this time?"

I gazed down, not wanting to have this conversation in public, yet already well aware that it was going to be the first thing she'd ask. "I got lost in a forest." I meekly shrugged while telling my half-truth.

"Yes, well I know that but-"

"Hello, and welcome to The Rosetti Rosewood. My name's Enzo and I'll be your waiter tonight." A handsome young man who looked no older than nineteen interrupted. He flashed a charming grin while handing us a couple of fancily framed menus. There was an air of whimsical joy glittering in his chestnut eyes, with his thick curly dark hair tied back in a small bun. "Can I start you off with something to drink?"

My mom kindly smiled while handing the menu back, most likely already knowing her full order. "I'll take an aperitivo and the Rosetti Spaghetti, please."

My eyes quickly darted across the menu while the waiter scribbled her order down on a flip-pad. I always felt pressured to order my food at the same time as others and I didn't know what I wanted yet. I'd usually get a garden salad while eating out since Justin would always comment if I got anything heavier. But fuck him. I was going to get whatever I wanted from now on.

"And you?" He politely asked.

"Um, I'll take the chicken broccoli alfredo and a water, please." A strange sense of freedom came over me as I handed back the menu. 

Once the waiter disappeared between wooden double doors with tall potted fig trees decorating either side, my mom gave me a questioning glance. "No pinot grigio? I thought you loved white wine?"

"I do, but I'd prefer water right now." I shook my head, feeling my heart suddenly flutter with anxiety.

...I probably shouldn't drop the "I'm fucking pregnant with a carnivorous abyss baby" bomb on her just yet.

"Okay." She brushed off my unusual order in favor of further questioning me about my strange disappearance. "So what happened to you? How did you get back? You look great for someone who's been lost in the woods for almost three months." 

I nervously peered at the little flickering flame on the table. She was going to know everything soon enough, I just couldn't tell her here. So I figured it would be a good idea to explain all that I could until we got home, just to warm her up a bit. "I actually can't tell you all the details right now. But you should know that I was rescued by an unusual man, and he took very good care of me the entire time I was missing."