When a God Bows to the Swords (Pt.1)

~Valarendrik~
(30 Minutes Earlier)

The deafening clamor of screeches, clashing swords, and crumbling buildings violently poured into my ears from every direction like a symphony of death and ruination. I screamed while leaping from Malsangius's mighty head just as he swallowed an entire lloigor whole as if it was a mere roach. I could still hear it screeching in pain as it moved down the serpent's esophagus, the sound fading as its unholy existence withered away. My power coursed through my fingertips and into my blades, casting menacing white flashes streaming out of them while I landed amongst the bedlem below.

The cobblestone street forcibly cracked beneath my armored boots, causing huge chunks of stone to fly up all around me as if it had been hit by a cannonball. Citizens screamed and fled for their lives, greatly fearing the sight of my shadows and luminous lightning power swirling around me to match the storm brewing inside of my soul. I began slaughtering guards and citizens alike, not sparing anyone who dared step into my path and even those who were simply too slow to get out of the way, truly earning my title as the mad prince. Rage both blinded my sight and led my path, guiding me on my mission to find and murder my mother. 

Blackened blood dripped from my swords while buildings quaked and crumbled from the sheer force of my power. I left a trail of utter destruction as I furiously stalked down the macabre streets of Tenveriel. A large guard suddenly came rushing over, his obsidian armor gleaming in the light of the demonic flames streaming above as he madly swung his sword in my direction, rabidly snapping his decaying jaws as he did so. I effortlessly blocked his attack with one hand, gutting him down the middle and slashing his throat without once taking my eyes off of the main gate ahead. He gurgled while collapsing in a puddle of putrid undead blood behind me. 

"You have gone mad!" The crown shrieked while fearfully squirming upon my head. "Look at all the destruction you've caused! All this for a mere woman!?"

The tip of my blood-soaked sword menacingly scraped against the street as I strolled further toward the gate with an aura of danger radiating out from my soul and pure bloodlust gleaming in my eyes. "She is not just a mere woman." I lowly spat back, my words literally and metaphorically dripping with venom. "She means everything to me, and I will not hesitate to destroy this entire accursed world if only to save a single hair on her beautiful head."

Menacing black spikes sinisterly loomed above as I finally reached the entrance to the main gate, gazing up at the formidable height of the wall. I wasted no time callously slaughtering the guards who charged out, painting the wall and the crumbling doorway to get inside black with their blood. The dark swirling sky flashed with undertones of reds and ambers from the streaks of hellfire igniting just below the clouds, illuminating my stern frown as I quickly glanced back at the castle. I really hoped that everything was going well in there.

The crown began to wickedly cackle. "Of course it's not going well in there! You entrusted two weak and pathetic humans to rescue the wench for you. You should turn back and go save her yourself if you want her to live!"

I gritted my teeth, knowing that the crown was only trying to play on my fear. The temptation to return to the castle and find her whispered sweetly to my spirit, yet I knew better. It would only attract a hoard of lloigors if I was seen or sensed over there. For the sake of her, our unborn child, the human tenverians, and Gwendolyn and William, I forced myself to turn away and enter the wall.

"Fool..." The crown whispered. "You will lose this war because of your own ineptitude..."

The winding stairs leading up to the top of the wall were black with aged bloodstains and cracking from years of being repeatedly trampled upon by brawny armor-clad guards. My feet never touched the steps though. I instead used my shadows to quickly glide up to the top, feeling more eager than ever to complete my mission. Cerindier was undoubtedly up there, likely watching the battle unfold and unaware that her death was swiftly approaching.