Renewal of Vows

The black bristles of a bejeweled hairbrush gently glided through my golden tresses. A soft smile adorned my mother's loving expression as she carefully brushed each wavy section, beautifully styling it into a crown of waterfall braids that tied together in the back. I sat in mine and Valarendrik's bedroom, perched upon a black cushioned seat in front of a ghoulish vanity that had been salvaged from the ruins, gazing at the mirror in complete awe of my reflection. William had volunteered to do my makeup, insisting that he had done it for Gwendolyn. He claimed that there was no one in the entire abyss capable of doing a better job. I thought he was being a bit swanky at first, but after seeing the breathtaking natural yet rosy look he'd given me, I couldn't deny that he'd been right.

My dress was mostly made up of lace, with thin ribbons daintily weaving up the sweetheart-style front like a corset. The bottom was sprawled out and draping over the seat beside me like a white waterfall pooling on the dark stone floor. The straps tied around my neck like a halter top, leaving my entire back exposed before the dress scrunched together like a heart over my butt. I did love the dress that I had worn to our first wedding, but I had wanted to go with a more classical bridal look this time around.

My mother's hazel eyes met mine through the reflection of the mirror with pure love and admiration twinkling within their depths. I couldn't help but lovingly smile back at her. She hadn't done her makeup yet, but her hair was elegantly styled in a low side bun. She also looked much better now than she did when I'd first returned to earth. Gone were the heavy circles under her eyes and she had filled back into a healthy weight. The delicate material of her crimson dress swayed around her knees while she reached over and pulled a piece of baby's-breath blooms from a little vase on the vanity. The white flowers matched the squared tips of her french manicure.

A harrowing screech suddenly echoed over the ocean outside, causing her to flinch in fright and drop the flowers. "Oops." She laughed while bending down to pick them back up, but I could see a hint of real fear in her eyes. "I don't think I'll ever get used to that." Her slightly shaky hands carefully wove the blooms into my hair, then she warily glanced out toward the open french doors leading onto the balcony.

"It's alright. It still freaks me out sometimes too." I smiled while glancing up at her with a comforting expression. "Thankfully the sunlight tends to keep most of the scarier creatures away."

She shook her head and blew out a dramatic breath, then reached for more flowers. "I still can't believe you survived living out in the wilderness here for an entire three months. I would have died of a heart attack on the first day if it had been me."

A soft giggle bubbled from my chest. "Well, I almost didn't survive. I would have been turned into a chew toy for the wolves if Valarendrik hadn't saved me." I watched as she added a few tiny white teacup roses to my hair. "And even then, it was still terrifying not knowing if he wanted to eat me as well."

Although, he has devoured me on more than just a few occasions since then...

My mother shook her head again with a warm smile and a soft hum. "Hmm, I still find all of this difficult to wrap my head around..." She waved her hand in a circle towards the balcony. "But I'm glad that you're marrying a man... or creature... who can keep you safe while you're in this world."

"Thanks mom." I reached up and gave her tanned hand a gentle squeeze while peering at her through the mirror. "Trust me, you won't have to worry about me. And you'll have Azathoth's sigil, so you can visit whenever you'd like." I internally laughed, thinking about how funny it was that Azathoth was becoming a demonic taxi service for us until we could figure out a better way to ensure her safety while traveling between worlds.

She bent down and wrapped her arms around me from the side, giving me a loving hug with closed eyes. "I'm your mother. I'll always be worried about you." She softly chuckled.