The Beauty of Life

Calamitous winds surrounded my soul like the wailing breath of unfathomable darkness and danced around my whirling disoriented body. I screamed in sorrow while plummeting beyond the threshold of time and space. My golden hair wildly whipped in all directions and familiar feeling shadows enshrouded me in a protective yet chaotic embrace. The salty tears which rolled off my cheeks were lost in the swirling ocean of stygian black, and my heart remained in the abyss as I was ripped away from the man that I loved.

What felt like two huge hard arms suddenly wrapped around my upper torso, and I was forcefully yanked against a cold solid mass. Then everything was abruptly jerked to a stop with a loud thump, causing me to fearfully yelp and squeeze my eyes closed. All the whirling chaos vanished, while my fingertips lightly grazed over some sort of smooth metal beneath me. 

The shrill chirping of crickets and the soft trickling song of a winding stream suddenly caressed my ears, while the evergreen scents of an earthly forest filled my nose. Feeling rather discombobulated, I nervously peeked open an eye, seeing the last dim rays of the eventide sun dancing across slender blades of wavering green grass. 

Oh my god! I'm back! 

My eyes flew open, then widened further as I noticed writhing shadows beginning to swirl through the grass... Wait a minute? What?

"Va-Valarendrik?" My voice softly trembled with a faint flicker of hope.

The arms around me grew slightly tighter in response and I realized that his peppery scent was as strong as ever. In utter disbelief, I slowly trailed my gaze along shadowy sprawled-out hair leading to the malevolent regal armor beneath me, then to the small obsidian crystal wrapped around a strong pale grey neck. I frantically pushed my wildly disheveled hair out of my face, causing my ghastly tiara to fall off as I excitedly lifted my head up to look at him.

"Oh my goodness! Valarendrik, you're here!" I practically squealed in excitement. He was laying on his back, staring at the darkening sky and fluttering green leaves above, looking completely shocked stiff and utterly bewildered by the sight before him. "You came with me! I'm back home and you're still with me!" I elatedly tried to jump up and kiss him all over his dumbfounded face but his grip remained firm, keeping me pinned against his chest... "Valarendrik?"

His mouth limply fell open in awe, revealing his sharp white teeth as he silently tried to speak. Keeping me tightly held in his arms, he slowly sat up while looking around in absolute astonishment. "Is this earth?" He practically whispered with wide wonderous eyes, gazing around at the pale quivering umbels of Queen Anne's lace and blue wood-aster blooms encircling us.

I could barely contain my joy as I answered him. "Yes! Yes! This is earth! Oh my goodness I'm so glad to be back and that you're here with me!" I trembled with excitation while energetically glancing around at the vaguely familiar forestland like a newly adopted shelter dog who was going to the park for the first time in years.

The familiar earthly sound of a mourning dove softly cooing in the distance was music to my ears, while he slowly unhooked one arm from around my waist. With slight hesitancy, he reached out and gently ran his hand along the long lush grass. "Green grass..." He softly mused. His ashen skin and sharp black claws looked utterly alien against each vibrant blade as they delicately bowed beneath his inquisitive touch. "Everything is so bright and colorful..." He seemed almost in a trance as he quietly spoke, tightening his arm around me while glancing up and around at all the beauteous verdure surrounding us.

His otherworldly eyes of garnet encased within obsidian fell to gaze into my own eyes, staring at me like I were a ghost, with a torrent of both joy and disbelief washing over him. The sweetly fragrant forest wind gently teased the twisting ends of his hair, as he cradled the side of my head with a large shaky hand. A single black tear slid down his cheek as though the sight of me overwhelmed him with a deep sense of absolution and love.