Back to the Abyss

~Valarendrik~

Apprehension played upon the strings of my heart like a tremolo within the harmony of my soul. Lucilia was nestled tightly within my arms as Azathoth's swirling black smoke gave way to the familiar and oppressive gloom of the ancient ruins. Ashes dolorously fluttered across the whirling black skies, softly landing upon the disintegrative obsidian streets and ancient stonework. My arms protectively tightened around her while the sorrowful whispers of the trees graced my ears. I watched the way their weeping branches lightly caressed the sadly shivering flowers below, internally cursing the fact that she had convinced me to let her come along.

The excited and supportive response she had given once I'd told her about my powers had warmed my heart. I had been somewhat worried that she might be intimidated by my true abilities. I certainly was. However, quite the opposite had happened. She used the knowledge as leverage for me to allow her to come along, contesting that I was powerful enough to keep her safe during our short visit. She also argued that William meeting Oliver again was too romantic for her to miss, seeming oddly smitten by the notion. When I still vehemently disagreed, the tears had started to shimmer within her big beautiful blue eyes... And that's when I caved.

She truly is the one with all the power here...

"Oh shit! Turn on a flashlight! Someone turn a damn flashlight on!" William fearfully clung to Azathoth while frantically glancing around. His pupils were dramatically expanded with a few strands of his pale wavy hair falling out of his ponytail and into his face. He'd changed out of his unitard and now wore red pants and a black jacket.

"No way." Azathoth shook him off and then took a few steps toward the ruins, his glowing eyes surveying the area with a calculated gleam. Like everyone else, he'd also changed back into regular attire. "We're much too close to Tenveriel to get away with that. Cerindier would have floods of guards marching our way the very second she suspected Valarendrik's presence."

"Don't worry, your eyes will adjust." A gentle smile played on Lucilia's lips as she spoke. The ashes danced through the twirling locks of her golden hair as she quickly kissed my shirt just beneath my collarbone. Then she tried to squirm out of my arms, but I held her firm as though she was my prisoner. "...Valarendrik."

"So this is the abyss..." Darrell's umber eyes slowly shifted around, taking in the sullen spires, grievous trees, and scattered skeletons. He kicked an old crumbling skull, watching as it broke apart while rolling through the ash and into the darkness. "Pretty creepy."

"This is only a small part of it." Azathoth replied while taking a few steps back toward William and Gwendolyn. He absentmindedly wrapped an arm around her waist, slightly tucking her into his leathery wing. "There are lots of different areas, this being one of the more pleasant places."

"This desolate realm of death and despair is one of the more pleasant places!?" William could hardly contain his shock while dramatically gesturing all around. "This is exactly how I imagine the inside of Eva Ernst's vagina! Dark, dusty, menacing, and full of skeletons!" His voice echoed all around.

"If you guys think this is bad, you should see the forest sometime. There are undead corpses literally woven into all the trees! It's super spooky." Gwendolyn piped in with a giggle. I inwardly beamed with delight seeing the swords I'd gifted her strapped around her waist. It brought joy to my heart knowing that she cherished them and that they had aided in their victory many years ago. "Now, which way are we going?" Her vibrant green eyes met mine with a smile.

I smiled back and nodded in the direction. "To the main palace. That's where everyone's been staying." My footsteps were silent and left no footprints behind as I began to lead the way.