Prologue

A/N- Hi there! So this is my first story ever, which means that it is my first attempt at writing something that doesn't involve analyzing a piece of literature for english or writing up a lab report for science (yuck). Therefore, the writing quality will be a bit rough in these first few chapters because I was still trying to find my comfort zone at the time, but it gets better once I get the hang of it. Just a heads up!

I'd like to thank Wattpad for inspiring me to type up the stories floating around in my head. This story, as well as my apparent love for writing, would not have existed otherwise.

**************************************************************************************

2.18.10

Dear Diary,

I remember when I used to think that fate didn't exist. That the world was simply made up of a series of coincidences--some great and some small-- but all significant in determining the paths to which our lives would follow.

I remember when I used to think that nothing was set in stone. Even living life as an immortal, the things around you tended to change despite your eternal presence. Indeed, life was constantly evolving--sometimes even affecting those like me, who weren't entirely capable of grasping the concept of change. At times these changes came without any warning. At times they tended to surprise even the most heartless of creatures.

I remember when I used to think there was no such thing as a "plan" for one's life. You just went with the flow and hoped that you got out of it alive until you realized that in the end, you'd wind up dead anyway.

Well, unless you were an immortal vampire, of course.

Fate. It was as real as a unicorn--a myth. An arbitrary concept cut out from the pages of some glittery fairytale. Only the dreamers believed in such ridiculous, childish things. It was a word crafted by the creativity of one's wild imagination in an attempt to fill the empty void that the cruelties of life had created in their soul.

That was what I used to think.

However, judging by the way things turned out during my time at the border town of Fairview Hills, Wyoming, I have to admit I ended up having my doubts about the whole fate thing. These doubts eventually grew in extent as I began to discover the hidden secrets in the darkness; the truth behind the mask; the terrible realities of life that I had tried so hard to run from for so long. They all came crashing down on me like the pouring of heavy water on a stormy day. And I didn't have an umbrella to keep me from falling beneath its pounding weight.

But even after all that--even after all of those life-changing revelations--I somehow still managed to set my stubborn mind on believing that life was in fact a domino effect made up of a series of coincidences. One coincidence quickly succeeded the other as they each unknowingly worked together to create the story of one's life. When the last domino fell, that meant your story was over.

There was no such thing as fate.

Looking back now, I realize how naïve I had truly been.

Forever amazed at how suddenly life can change,

Cat

♥¤════════════════¤۩۞۩ஜஜ۩۞۩¤═══════════════¤♥

"Luna splendorem et in tenebris