Chapter Twenty-Seven (Part II)

A/N- Well, here it is. I hated writing this, and that'll probably show in my writing, so please excuse the poor quality.

I'm nervous for this! *bites nails*

****************************************************************************

Adrianna's POV

I was a walking contradiction.

I was the symbol of salvation and purity-a white beacon of light that radiated nothing but absolute peace and tranquility. The lightweight objects attached to my protruding shoulder blades bounced lightly along with my graceful strides, rising up in tides every so often when the cool night air decided to give off a sudden burst of strength. My long dress was a holy white color, clinging to my slim figure with effortless fluidity. It billowed behind me and left ripples of agitated fabric trailing my quick, easy steps, which were marked by a pair of flat, brown gladiator sandals. On my head was a silvery ring that sparkled every chance it got-that is, when met with any glimmer of light. My hair was loose and natural, framing my face like a picture framing a masterpiece and extending so far down to my waist that it followed the same soft, breezy movements of the wholeness of my outfit.

I was an angel.

...But I was still me.

"Stupid Esme," I muttered to myself as I reached her large front door. "It's like she knew I'd hate this outfit."

Now, I'm sure you're wondering why I was even wearing an angel costume that was flow-y, soft and pretty instead of tight, rough and sexy. I mean, I was going to be seeing Caleb that night, after all.

But that had been exactly why I was wearing this virgin outfit in the first place.

See, two nights ago, Esme offered to help me find a costume for tonight. I decided to accept her request, mostly because she had actually proved to be quite helpful the first time I had to do the whole "pick out an outfit" thing on my date with Caleb. I had gotten the hang of dressing up for our dates already but this costume business was completely out of my comfort zone.

I hadn't had any luck in two of the stores I had gone to because everything looked fake and cheap. Plus, the costumes that were available to choose from looked like something a five year old would wear. Magical Fairy Princess? Ha, no thanks.

I wanted a sexy cop costume-handcuffs and all-, or perhaps a black cat costume with a long tail and perky ears. Or maybe even a pink Playboy bunny-anything but an angel.

So when Esme took me to this small local store in the middle of town, I thought that she would guide me in the right direction, to someplace where I would be able to find what I was looking for. But my thoughts and expectations were immediately shattered when Esme held up a white blanket with plucked feathers sticking out of it and a silver ring that looked like it would be a nice collar for a dog.

"Caleb would like this!" she squealed, her purple eyes wide with excitement.

Those first three words were all I needed to hear. If Esme said that unflattering angel outfits were what Caleb liked to see on girls, then unflattering angel outfits were what he was going to get. Even if I hated it.

I guess you can say I trusted Esme. I trusted her enough to decide what it was Caleb did and didn't like, because she knew him way longer than I did. In that sense she did indeed manage to earn my faith in her. But as for all other aspects, I still found her to be a bit... odd. And shady.

The fact that Esme's house was huge only made me more upset with her. From its exterior one could clearly tell that it was three stories high and covered in windows in every face, made purely of deep burgundy brick that was accented with beige window trimming. Even at this time at night, anyone would be able to see perfectly because of the many spotlights that were rooted to the grassy ground of her vast front yard and mounted at the top corners of her large home, shooting out bright rays of yellow-white light.