Chapter Forty-One

A/N- I updated this story on Sunday (Chapter 40) so make sure you've read that before you read this one! It's a super important chapter. Thanks :)

********************************************************

Adrianna's POV

Sunset had settled over Moonlight Shadows by the time I had finished feeding from two blood bags and Caleb had come back from hunting in the nearby forest with some pack members. They dined in groups of about eight men and women of all different ages, scouring the area of Bighorn Forest for some food to eat and to bring back to the pack. I stood beneath the opaque shadows thrown down onto the dry ground by the trees in an effort to conceal myself Caleb and his people-back in their human forms- unloaded his truck bed, which was piled with about five dead deer, a fox and two rabbits. Caleb had explained to me before that the pack members were assigned to hunting groups based on experience and schedules (a lot of them worked and such). They alternated with the times they hunted as well as with which group was in charge of bringing home food for the younger wolves: wolves that had already shifted but were not trained enough to hunt on their own. Pregnant mothers were also hunted for.

Once this task was completed Caleb was looking deliciously hot and sweaty, and he insisted on showering despite my protests. This meant that I had to wait for him in his room, listening to the sound of trickling water running and watching the steam slip out into the room from beneath the bathroom door crack; it filled the crisp air with a humid, soapy scent.

At some point that I was unconsciously aware of, I began pacing back and forth across the wood-planked floor of his room, my footfalls occasionally becoming momentarily silenced by the soft impact of his navy blue rug planted in the center. I was contemplating whether or not I should heed to Jess' warning and not mention Caleb's mate to him. It wasn't like I intentionally wanted to open that can of worms and hurt him with the memory; rather, I wanted him to be able to trust me enough to be open with something as deeply personal as his experience, even if I was being slightly hypocritical.

I wanted his side of the story. I wanted to know if he saw who killed Vanessa. And I wanted to know if I knew this vampire.

It was cruel of me to want to pry and probe into such a touchy matter, but I couldn't help it. Jess' little tale had only added more flames to my burning curiosity, injecting me with the hungry desire to know more.

Finally, after what felt like eons, the bathroom door cracked open. My head snapped towards its general direction from where I sat at the edge of his bed. Caleb emerged from the doorframe in an aura of steam that poured out of the bathroom in a stream of lazy, thin white wisps. His clothes were unfortunately on, to my dismay, yet his skin glinted with moisture and his floppy hair glistened beneath the light of his bedroom; it stuck to his skin and fell into his eyes just before he ran his fingers through it, combing it back messily.

Caleb spared me a confused glance and peered over his shoulder before returning his gaze back to mine with furrowed brows and a small smile.

"What's up with you? You look like you're having some sort of life-changing vision right now."

I snapped my hanging jaw and blinked, making sure I looked convincingly irritated. "I was, actually. I was envisioning myself in a world where I don't have to mull around and wait for my boyfriend to take a twenty-minute shower while I do nothing in his surprisingly clean room."

Caleb looked taken aback, yet his eyes sparkled with humor. "That was not a thirty-minute shower. Stop being so overdramatic."

"Whatever!" I cried. "I just always thought that guys were supposed to be the ones who showered faster than girls."