Chapter Four

Adrianna's POV

Human high school was such a strange place.

I had only been here-what? Five minutes? And already I had begun to notice the many differences between this dirty public place and the Nocte Tenebrae Academy that I had been forced to attend.

For one, Nocte Tenebrae Academy didn't have people staring at you like you're from another planet. I mean, I could understand that my breathtaking good looks could, well, take people's breath away but come on. I was barely exposing any skin for God's sake. Here at Mill Creek High, it was as if the roles had somehow reversed. Humans were looking at me like they were the predators and I was the deliciously good-looking prey. And I hated it.

Back at boarding school in Romania, I would have basked in this sort of attention. I would get it there all the time-everyone knew I was the future queen of the largest Vampire Kingdom in the world. But here, having these human eyes sizing me up like a delicious piece of meat only made me feel extremely anxious.

I took another sip of the blood I had poured into a thermos that I had found in one of the cupboards of the kitchen. It tasted cold and stale, the typical taste for blood that came from the bags at hospitals (stealing them had been easier than breathing, by the way) but for once I didn't complain since the blood assisted in calming down my nerves. This thermos was the only thing keeping me from losing my mind right now, as I was completely surrounded by sweet smell of warm-blooded humans.

I made a left at the hall where the handsome young man at the steps had told me to go. The hallway was full of even more people than in the one before, all laughing and talking by their lockers in their own little worlds. A lot of them stopped what they were doing and gawked at me with wide eyes, and I had to fight to keep from snapping at them. Having their eyes on me made me feel even more uneasy than I already felt. I immediately regretted wearing heels; whereas back in the Academy I was able to use my super-speed to get through the halls, here I had to do things the old fashioned way-step by step.

I finally made it to the Main Office, as was indicated by a little plaque that was hanging on the ceiling just above the entrance of the door to the left. As I approached the door I noticed a caramel-colored girl standing outside the office's entrance as if she were waiting for someone. Her curly black hair looked unkempt and wild, and I was horrified to notice that her purple book bag did not match with her red-and-black outfit at all.

She looked up and fixed her strange violet eyes on me as I approached, the two orbs widening a little as if she were surprised by my appearance. Not that it was anything new; I had been getting looks like all morning. I walked past her and opened the door, very aware of her presence behind me as she followed me in.

Just a few feet in front of me was a long counter with a fairly large woman behind it on the phone. She was chewing gum like a cow while twirling the black telephone cord around her index finger as she spoke into it. I approached her and waited impatiently, tapping my perfectly manicured nails against the counter. Meanwhile the girl was standing just a few feet behind me, and I guessed that she probably needed to talk to the gum-chewing lady too.

"Ooh," the woman before me cooed. She giggled like a little five year old which was hilarious because judging by the grey roots in her frizzy red hair, she must have been around her late 50s. "I can't wait for tonight."

Okay, gross.

I took another sip of the blood, nearly breaking the thermos in two by how tight I was holding it. This woman needed to hurry the hell up and stop having sex on the phone. What a whore.

As if hearing my thoughts, she woman tilted her head in my direction and looked at me before turning back to the phone. "Baby, I have to go. Someone needs me," she murmured, although I was pretty sure everyone in the office could hear her. "Yeah. Our usual spot but we'll use your car, it's a lot comfier." Then she self-consciously turned her back to me and unsuccessfully tried to hide her "I love you too" with a loud whisper. Pathetic.