Chapter Three

Dedicated to @ombredelmort for the amazing cover you see to the right. She's truly talented and she writes, too! Check her out (:

***************************************************************************************

Adrianna's POV

"Your Highness, would you like to try attending school today?" I heard Joanna ask from the doorway of my small, two by two feet squared room.

Okay, so maybe I was exaggerating about the size. But the point was that this so-called "master bedroom" was way too small for my standards. I felt like I was living in a box and for the first few hours after I had first arrived, I had worried I was suffering from a bad case of claustrophobia.

"No," I replied, my voice muffled by the flat white pillow I had been forced to lay on since there were no other pillows around. Joanna and Rufus had been sleeping on the floor, creating their bed out of layered quilts and bed sheets. I could have just used the money my mother gave me to get them a bed and myself a new pillow, but, since she and I both believed I would be done with my task way before then, she had only given me enough to cover food for the humans and essential expenses for about a month. And ridiculously enough, she didn't think a fluffy pillow would count as something necessary. Ugh. Mothers.

"As you wish your highness." I felt Joanna's presence at my door linger for a moment longer and I pictured her bowing before me like she always did. Then I heard the soft click of the door closing, signaling her departure and acting as my cue to relax.

I sighed deeply into the pillow, eyeing an empty, translucent blood bag sitting on the low night table beside my small bed. Joanna and I had been going through this same morning scene every day since I had arrived at Fairview Hills. It had been a week and a half now.

It wasn't like I was afraid of going to a human high school or anything. I had nothing to fear about anything involving those fragile, ignorant creatures. The problem was that I was going to be in an environment filled with temptation and desire. My thirst for blood had become my greatest fear.

Upon the first hours of my arrival at this modest little home in one of the highest hills of Fairview Hills, my mother called me using a cell phone for the first time. She wasn't very familiar with human inventions such as these-after all, she had come from living hundreds of years in Romania on the other side of the world, completely disconnected from the advancements of the human world around her. Despite this, she somehow managed to get the phone to call me. When I answered my first impulse was to cry and beg for her to take me back home to my big extravagant room and our grand ballroom parties and the ready availability of human blood at every corner. But that would have been completely uncalled for-at least for my character anyway-and instead I answered with a simple "Hello?"

"Daughter! Oh, sweetheart how are you holding up?" Her voice was wasn't very sincere; as a matter of fact I would say it was filled with unmasked pity.

"All I want is to kill this stupid werewolf ASAP so our beloved King could have his little war and I could return home," I replied sourly, making sure to add a sarcastic emphasis on the beloved King part.

My mother was oblivious to the true emotions that hid behind my words. Or maybe she just didn't want to start an argument. It wouldn't be the first time. "That's great sweetheart. I'm calling to let you know that your stepfather sends his best wishes and is eternally grateful of your bravery," she said proudly.

I suppressed a snort. A thank you and best wishes from the King himself? A man who didn't even take the time to call me because he would rather use a messenger to speak for him instead? Yeah, right. I wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic or just playing the part of "good stepfather", but I knew for certain his regards were not in the least bit sincere.