Chapter Sixteen

Caleb's POV

The drowned music of my phone's alarm clock grew increasingly louder as it pulled me up and dragged me out of sleep, into consciousness. I groggily reached for my phone, stretching my arm out so that I could feel my wooden night table while Imagine Dragons serenaded me with the chorus for "Radioactive". I quickly found it, turning it off with a swift swipe on the screen. I hadn't noticed until my lock screen popped up that it was Wednesday, September 26th. I sighed and looked up at the ceiling. The early morning light just barely trickled past my thick bedroom curtains, giving the roof a soft ethereal glow.

It was Wednesday.

I needed a game plan for today. School had suddenly become more than a place to learn and dodge interested girls. School had officially become a warzone. Yesterday had been an off day for me and based on what I heard from the guys at practice after school, my distractedness led to Catalina winning over the hearts of every one of my friends. I wasn't really sure what this meant because-what were they going to do? Share her? I hardly doubted anyone would want that, which meant that some fighting was likely to occur over who should have her, which meant that our team would be at its weakest and most divided point at the time when we needed to be the most unified and the strongest. Our big homecoming game was only two days away.

I was determined to get Catalina to leave us all alone. She needed to take her boobs and round butt elsewhere in the school, far away from me and my friends. We didn't need her splitting us apart and distracting us. We didn't need her at all.

I rolled out of bed and got ready to shower, a plan already formulating in my head.

Yesterday, I was weak and in pain, but today I was going to push all my other, more personal problems aside to focus on the ready issue at hand. I had meant what I said about the game being on between Catalina and I. This fight was nowhere near over, and now, with so much as stake, I was as determined as ever to win.

♥¤════════════════¤۩۞۩ஜஜ۩۞۩¤═══════════════¤♥

Adrianna's POV

"Have you met.... Christian Sanchez yet?"

"That kid who swears he's the leader of a gang?"

"Yep."

"Yep."

"Hmm..." Esme put her finger on her chin and glanced up thoughtfully. "What about the Fairman brothers? They're probably the funniest twins you'll ever meet."

"Yep. And I've got them fighting over me." I smiled devilishly and Esme laughed.

"Catalina, you bad girl." Esme shook her head teasingly.

"Why, thank you," I replied with a smirk. "That's probably the best compliment I have ever gotten from you."

Unintentionally, I yawned. I turned my head to my locker but Esme still caught it.

"Rough night?" I heard her ask.

I slowly turned back around to face her, wanting to take a good look at her face. There she was, doing that thing again where she said something that was meant to sound clueless but the tone gave away the fact that she knew more than she gave off. It made me feel as if she somehow knew about the imaginary wolf howling last night. About how I couldn't get an ounce of sleep after that little show because I kept hearing its torturous sound echoing in my ears. Esme's smile remained glued on her face, giving away nothing but genuine curiosity. But her eyes-those big pools of violet- made me feel as if they were looking right through me. Right past my deceitful façade.