Chapter Thirteen

Please do not neglect to read the A/N at the end of this. I need your opinions! Thanks xx

***********************************************************************

Caleb's POV

Head bowed, I rubbed my eyes with my thumb and forefinger as I struggled to fight the headache that threatened to pound against my temples. Just hearing them explain the whole story to me was enough to bring it on.

"So, let me get this straight," I started, removing my fingers so that I could look up at Corey, David, Joseph and Jared. I shifted my burning gaze so that it was fixated on Corey. "You left a completely drunk Nathan with an even more drunk David knowing that he clearly was in no state to baby sit, and then David dared Nathan to jump off the pier but when he hopped onto the edge, he lost his balance and ended up slipping and that's the reason why he's here right now?"

"Basically," David answered whilst rubbing the back of his neck. He looked completely sleep-deprived. "Yes."

I shook my head and laughed bitterly-a humorous, short laugh-, looking over at Nathan who was totally drugged up with painkillers as he lay sleeping on the white hospital bed. I didn't even care of the heavy smell of antiseptic burned my nose. Being here was worth it.

As soon as Catalina left my apartment this morning I went out to hunt and soon after, I realized that I could not find my cell phone. After a couple of minutes of futile searching, I asked my neighbor-an obvious crack addict named Maria-to use her telephone to call mine. I could hear it ringing all the way from the top floor, even zoning in and pinpointing the exact location of its sound. It was beneath my car seat. How it got there, I have yet to know.

So I ended up having nine unheard messages from David, Corey, Joseph, and Jared combined, minus one that was surprisingly from my father. I was actually going to answer his first-it genuinely shocked me that he had even called at all-but the guys' frantic messages made me forget all about my father the Alpha calling. I'd deal with him later.

So now here I was wearing the same ratty clothes I had on this morning, a result from my rushing over here as soon as I heard the news. I glanced at David, whose black hair looked like it could be the perfect nest for birds. Deep bags hung beneath his red eyes, obviously a result from the events from last night.

At least I don't look as bad as these guys...

But clearly the worst-looking one here was Nathan, whose neck was being smothered by a white brace and his right arm left leg were hanging up from the support of strong cables as if he were a puppet covered in white casts. According to the doctors here, he had sprained his neck, broke his arm and leg, and got a concussion from when his head made contact with one of the rocks near the edge of the lake.

"Have you guys talked to him?" I asked, eyeing Nathan immobile form. He looked like a mummy with all that white rapping.

"Yeah," Joseph replied. "I'm the one who drove him here last night since these four idiots were too drunk to drive." He looked at David. "Did you know I was in the middle of doing it with Clarissa before you barged into the room crying like a baby that Nathan fell?"

"Dude, don't remind me," David cringed. "I actually remember that part. Talk about being mentally scarred for life."

Call it lack of sleep or just the circumstances of the situation, but nobody laughed at that one.

Corey looked at me. "And where the hell did you go off to last night? I remember you went inside to get a drink and never came out." He looked cranky, but then again I think we all were.