Chapter Fourteen

A/N- Page breaks do not solely indicate changes in POV; they also apply to changes in scene. If a POV changes then you will be told as such.

***********************************************************************

Adrianna's POV

Grabbing my leather bag and keys, I sat in the driver's seat and shut my eyes, meditating as I mentally prepared myself for the human-infested waters I was about to dive into. Then I peeled my eyes open and peered outside my windshield, watching a boy speeding by as he rode a skateboard on the sidewalk while an angry older man called after him, briefcase in hand and fist shaking in the air.

I couldn't believe I was back here again.

I opened the car door and hopped down from the Jeep's monstrous height, my pair of glittery-grey Toms daintily meeting the rough parking lot pavement with a grace that nearly rendered on perfection.

Scratch that: I couldn't believe I was back here again, and I actually wanted to be.

Well, maybe the term 'wanted' is a bit of an extreme word for my situation. It wasn't like I woke up early this morning and excitedly put on my clothes and rushed out to my car with a big smile on my face, eager to begin a school day at Mill Creek High. But the fact of the matter was this town was absolutely boring-I mean seriously, I didn't understand what the people who lived here did in their free time. Stare at each other's faces?

I couldn't call Madge because she was a whore, and my mother and I weren't on speaking terms. Joanna and Rufus were totally useless in all respects, and I didn't really have any friends to talk to. I thought I did, but as I ran down a mental list of vampires in my head, I realized that I didn't have a mental list in my head. All the vampires my age who I knew were either jealous bitches or completely fake.

The way I saw it, I had two options: either I wander the streets of Fairview Hills or stay cooped up at home contemplating suicide (since socially, I was already done for), or I could try my hardest to endure some human-vampire interaction while I awaited the notorious arrival of that werewolf. And what better place to do that than in a high school with teenagers who think you're the definition of perfection-an absolute goddess?

At least being here, having dozens of boys and even girls fawn over my perfectness would distract me from the misery of my current life. Plus, I could work on building up my tolerance for the smell of human blood. I found that by subjecting myself to large crowds like these, I was starting to have an easier time being around delectable humans. The urge to rip at their throats was almost completely at bay-at least, as long as I wasn't very hungry.

I promised myself that the moment I felt my throat burn with the desire to feed, I would bolt from school. I had decided against bringing another blood-filled thermos to school because it would just wind up causing me more trouble than good. Can you imagine what would happen if I spilled that thing? Despite the fact that I'd be crying on the floor hysterically (okay, not really but you get the point), everyone would notice it was actually blood, and it's not like I can get an entire crowd of humans to forget something. Mind control only worked on one individual at a time, when you looked them dead in the eyes and stared right into their soul, bidding them to do as you wish.

I pulled down my shirt a little, which kept riding up and exposing my lower stomach. Then I smoothed down my skinny jeans and made my way to the door, going up the same steps I had climbed on my first day here. As soon as my eyes landed on the flight of stairs, I was consequentially reminded of Caleb. I would see his face in my first class-English or whatever. Should I talk to him? Well, not just simply talk to him, but charm him with my good looks and flirty words? I mean, it would be pretty entertaining to witness Caleb getting all flustered over my actions, especially since I have yet to see him swoon like the rest of the guys did. It was only a matter of time before he bowed down to my greatness, too. And once I had Caleb-probably the most good-looking guy in the school-wrapped around my finger, I would have achieved total greatness.