Chapter Twenty-Three (Part II)

A/N- Don't expect much out of this part, its just a wrapping up of the events from the first part.

And again, excuse the suckish writing... I've been having a hard time writing lately. I blame exams.

**************************************************************************

Adrianna's POV

The ride back home went by way too fast. When I first got inside Caleb's truck, I was reminded of that night when I got attacked by the Soul Eaters and nearly died from all that blood loss. It made me realize that he had always been there right from the start -from the moment I started school in this new town. Always helping, even when he didn't exactly want to. It gave me a strange, squeezing feeling in my hollow chest that I would never admit to anyone out loud.

The moment we sped away from the parking lot, Caleb and I began to make fun of Jimmy Dean, talking about how apparently his name is also the name of a sausage brand company here in the states and how that correlated with his sausage-like fingers and overall chubbiness. That one actually managed to get me to crack a grin.

But I think the true cause for my smile was the fact that Caleb seemed to be back normal, chuckling and flashing me that lopsided smile every now and then. It was hard to believe that he was on the verge of beating the shit out of Jimmy in a horrible fit of rage just minutes before. I don't think I've ever seen a human that angry before. Ever.

"You were amazing back there," he admitted as we turned onto the road. "Kicking him like that. I've never met a girl who can beat a guy up instead of leaving it to the guy to do it."

I flashed him a smirk. "Of course I was amazing. Jimmy Dean doesn't scare me."

"Does anything scare you?"

I pondered over this for a moment. There was no way I was going to tell him that thunder terrified me to no end, so I replied with a simple, "Nah."

He returned his line of thinking to reminiscing over what just happened back at the bowling lanes. "And what about when you laughed at him? What the hell was that about?" he quizzed.

I shrugged, smiling as the memory infiltrated my thoughts. "I thought it was funny, seeing Jimmy Dean touch his nose like it was his little pet hamster."

Caleb laughed, the lethargic sound filling up the entire car and tugging the ridges of my mouth higher upwards.

"Out of all the times when you could've laughed at something funny, you decide to do it when it's directed at a big, intimidating twenty-year old," he said, clearly finding me to be completely puzzling and ridiculous. He shook his head. "I don't understand you."

"He's twenty?" I questioned, my eyebrows shooting up in surprise as I began to fiddle with the knobs on the radio.

"Yeah, he failed, like, four times. And-sorry, could you turn that off?"

"That explains why he's a total idiot then," I said absently. Then I realized what Caleb had said and raised an eyebrow at him. "Why?

"I-I'm just not a big fan of loud music," he stumbled over his words, looking uneasy as he shifted in his seat.

"It's not even loud," I complained.

Caleb ground his teeth together, and I was immediately reminded of his stiff body and clenched fists from earlier today. He really did have a short temper. "Are you always this stubborn?"

I paused for a moment, considering. "Pretty much, yeah."

I smiled sweetly at him and turned the radio off, filling the air in the car with silence.