Chapter Thirty-Two (Part I)

A/N- I'm back! I didn't want to keep you guys waiting, so I'm posting this first part while I finish the rest :)

********************************************************************************

Adrianna's POV

"No!" Esme cried, crossing her arms childishly. "Absolutely not!"

Caleb and I frowned.

"C'mon, Esme," Caleb whined in a terribly persuasive voice. "You're the only one who can do this for us."

Esme's violet eyes bounced between the two of us hesitantly for a moment, but soon the defiant look reappeared and she shook her head vigorously.

"Nope. No way."

I don't know how she so easily denied him when he used that tone. If it were me, I would have submitted to his wishes in a heartbeat.

"How is competing against each other going to bring you two closer together?" she asked. "If anything, it will only split you apart."

"No, it won't," Caleb assured. I felt hot iron cage around my waist and he tugged me so that I was pressed against his side, inhaling his musky scent. "This is how Cat and I bond with each other." I felt him give my waist a little squeeze. "Right, baby?"

I kept my face clear of the surprise I felt for his use of the word, "baby" on me. If Esme wasn't watching us, I would have either cussed him out or stomped on his foot. Or both. But since she was eyeballing us intently, searching for any sign of dissidence, I had to play along.

And we all know how good I am at putting on the flirty-girl act.

"Of course, baby," I smirked at him. I looked at Esme. "I honestly just want to give him a big ass-whooping, you know?" I reached behind Caleb and roughly slapped his ass, my smirk widening as he jumped a little. "He likes it when I dominate."

I felt Caleb stir beside me, dissatisfied with my blow to his ego. He hit my side with the hand that had been resting on my waist and holding me to him.

"Oh, God," Esme groaned, mortified. "What have I created with you two? I said to work on your relationship, not to turn it into a BDSM sort of thing!"

I pursed my lips to stifle a laugh, but judging by the look on Esme's face, I think she misread it as embarrassment.

"I drove all the way out here in the middle of nowhere right after I got your call, thinking that it was for something important." She sighed, then bit her lip. "But since we're already here...I suppose one little race wouldn't hurt anyone..."

"Yes!" I hissed a quiet cheer, pumping my fist. I sprung away from Caleb and narrowed my eyes at him with a smirk. "Let's do this, shall we, babe?"

His face mirrored my own as he replied, "Bring it, Princess."

He still used the word as if it bared a foul taste. I wanted to shove it down his throat.

I suppose any onlooker would be wondering why on Earth would we be doing such a senseless little competition in the midst of an impending war, a new revelation regarding a human who could see the spirits of the dead, and a relationship damaged and plagued by recent events?

None of us had questioned the decision to compete, although Esme did hint that this wasn't the time for petty little games. But the truth was that, taking into account everything that had recently transpired between Caleb and I, I think it was safe to say that he and I deserved a bit of a break. I couldn't remember the last time I was given the privilege to indulge in leisure time, much less with Caleb at my side.